do you guys think you’ll be taking a gap year? (1 Viewer)

cloud_berry

HSC
The teachers i’ve spoken to said to just go straight to uni, but tbh i am just super burnt out and unsure of what course i even wanna do. I honestly don’t even feel ready for uni. Especially with the shortened holidays this year, a gap year is looking pretty tempting ngl, but i’m still torn between the two choices. What do you guys think you’ll do?

mikrokosmos

HSC
i was gonna but theres nothing to do in the gap yr bc i dont want covid haha

aiming for law but even if i dont make it, ill do the second half of the double and itll be a chill 1st sem + the two month break we get and then i'll internally transfer to law

santavself

HSC
my mum told me not to take a gap year, because it's too much time off and you can get used to a passive lifestyle and just defer your course till no avail. i'm instead going to be doing part time for my first year and although it'll add on extra time the work load will be half of what it usually is and i think it's a reasonable option. if you really do need a break though you can defer for a semester (not sure how it works) and come back in semester two, but i'd just prefer slowly but surely getting into the uni life style with part time uni

uniqueusername1

HSC
The teachers i’ve spoken to said to just go straight to uni, but tbh i am just super burnt out and unsure of what course i even wanna do. I honestly don’t even feel ready for uni. Especially with the shortened holidays this year, a gap year is looking pretty tempting ngl, but i’m still torn between the two choices. What do you guys think you’ll do?
dw after you have a week off. You'll realise how long the 3 month break will be. You'll realise you wanna go uni by then.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
If you are taking a gap year you should have some type of plan of what you will do during that time to make it worthwhile. If it's just to relax and have a break then you probably don't need a whole year for that and it can then be hard to go from not studying and then going back to it because motivation might decrease. 3 months from HSC to uni should be enough for that aspect of it. If you need longer maybe just start in semester 2

cloud_berry

HSC
is there a due date for deciding when you wanna defer? I might take a month off and see how i feel about it and then consider deferring or not. also maybe take like 6 months off instead of a year but idk if that’s possible, i agree a year is too much but i’d want a longer break than the one we have now

cloud_berry

HSC
If you are taking a gap year you should have some type of plan of what you will do during that time to make it worthwhile. If it's just to relax and have a break then you probably don't need a whole year for that and it can then be hard to go from not studying and then going back to it because motivation might decrease. 3 months from HSC to uni should be enough for that aspect of it. If you need longer maybe just start in semester 2
actually joining in semester 2 sounds good, i’ve never heard of doing that before though so i have no idea how it works. can it be done with early offers?

santavself

HSC
is there a due date for deciding when you wanna defer? I might take a month off and see how i feel about it and then consider deferring or not. also maybe take like 6 months off instead of a year but idk if that’s possible, i agree a year is too much but i’d want a longer break than the one we have now
depends what uni. i'd ask the uni you're planning to get into (or already gotten into) as most, if not all of them have some live chat feature or live support feature.

uniqueusername1

HSC
Also the only way to find out what you want to do is by trialling. Unless it randomly hits you one day which i doubt will happen.

santavself

HSC
actually joining in semester 2 sounds good, i’ve never heard of doing that before though so i have no idea how it works. can it be done with early offers?
also depends on if you're able to defer ur early offer. most of them u are but some of them are conditional on getting in straight away

cloud_berry

HSC
depends what uni. i'd ask the uni you're planning to get into (or already gotten into) as most, if not all of them have some live chat feature or live support feature.
yea true , i got into uow so i’ll try contacting them after the hsc ends. i remember them saying u can defer for one year but idk about deferring for a semester

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry don't have an idea around that. You will have to look at each early offer terms and conditions to see or call up the uni

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
I’m deciding to taking a gap year and go to Qatar to watch my fellow Denmark in the World Cup. I honestly think I need a break from education before I start a degree in a journalism or something (still clueless what to do in the future)

icycledough

HSC
Pretty much with what has been said above, a gap year can be very beneficial IF (key word is IF) you use is productively, and as said above, don't just use one to lie around all day and not do anything, because if you are going to do this, you will be better off doing to uni. However, some things you can definitely do during a gap year can be:

• Travel (quite obvious given we have been devoid of this for almost 2 years)
  • Earn money (with a year off, you can afford to work consistent hours, which will be very helpful with purchasing things you may need or want, or even for university)
  • Definitely do something related to your course (whether it is employed work or voluntary work; it can give you a better foundation before going into it)

moriamsdubu

HSC
nah i don't think i will, i considered it for a while but i feel like i'd totally spiral if i had a year of just nothingness. i thought maybe i'd travel but no way i can afford to go anywhere interesting plus i'm getting more and more excited to experience uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)