do you get bribed to do well at school? (1 Viewer)

georgefren

HSC
hahaha i wish. although if i topped four subjects i'd want a million bucks as well. god.

H4rdc0r3

HSC
ahhliss said:
I asked my mum for a phone but she wouldn't get me it so I was like, I will do work and nothing else these whole holidays. No Facebook, no Bebo, no MapleStory, just work, MSN and BoS (for help xD).

She replied, that's too easy, that's not enough to earn a phone -.-" Then she said if I do well in the HSC she'll get me the phone so I guess it's a bribe? I argued I got a band 6 for Maths but that didn't work xD
a phone for the HSC. how old are you again?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Hah, motivation from MY parents? No way. They're quite the opposite <.<

selablad

HSC
Take back what I said before. My dad just told me that if I don't get 99+, I'll be shot. There's my motivation, I guess...

zzzz12345

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
seems alright depending what school she goes to
She's awesomely smart and does go to a very good school but we seem to never get many state rankings. Our school had a total of three this year I think, though we did OK overall in the HSC. As smart as she is getting first in the state in one subject let alone all of them (if she's aiming for the $1,000,000 (which she thinks her parents were joking about)) would be very difficult and first in the state in all of them would be close to impossible for essentially anyone as there's only so many hours in the day to dedicate to something. I do wish her luck though. It would be a very interesting story if she does top all her subjects.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
zzzz12345 said:
My parents subscribe to the idea that my education is purely for my own benefit and thus it is my own responsibility to motivate myself and do well. My parents probably leave me alone because they know they could never motivate me as much as I can motivate myself thus essentially making them redundant in that faculty. As a result my parents don't bribe me though they are very accomodating in regards to most of the things that I ask for. However I think that my parents have subconsciously started to expect me to also do well so although they don't push me and/or bribe me there is always that level of expectation...Especially in some subjects that will remain nameless.
ditto

+ my motivationis that i want the UAI that i want so that i can live out my dream and not let myself down and going " i wonder what would have happened if I..."

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
freekyboi said:
i got over 95 and am actually gettin a car!
lucky guys. 99.7+ = car.

fortunately got there :L. had to work for it

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
zzzz12345 said:
She's awesomely smart and does go to a very good school but we seem to never get many state rankings. Our school had a total of three this year I think, though we did OK overall in the HSC. As smart as she is getting first in the state in one subject let alone all of them (if she's aiming for the $1,000,000 (which she thinks her parents were joking about)) would be very difficult and first in the state in all of them would be close to impossible for essentially anyone as there's only so many hours in the day to dedicate to something. I do wish her luck though. It would be a very interesting story if she does top all her subjects.
OHHH my bad thought it was just top in the school lol!!!
thats a lot harder, even first in the state (overall) may just get that...

4theHSC

HSC
dp624 said:
I motivate myself. Parents try yo tell me stuff but i ignore them. When they try to tell me to relax i say not. When they tell me to work harder i continue bludging. I know myself and my study best, not them, and i did well regardless.
haha i do that as well...

zzzz12345

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
OHHH my bad thought it was just top in the school lol!!!
thats a lot harder, even first in the state (overall) may just get that...
Yeah I thought you misintepreted what I said so I attempted to clarify. First in the state in anything (and notably even in one subject) is a formidable achievement while coming first in state in two or more subjects would be astonishing. Hopefully her parents will acquiesce to the giant teddy bear if she gets a really good UAI but I think that the $1,000,000 will probably have to wait. Though that being said, one should never discount something just like that. She may live to astound us all.

abeleski

HSC
i maintain to motivate myself..
apart from that parents play a role with minor bribes :p

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
well, i guess i'm just expected to do well for some reason by everyone, and i'm gonna get compared to my parents friends sons/daughters...so i'll try not to look too bad, but i also want to do well for myself, because i can. and i know i can!!
my parents leave me alone now, they know they cant do anytihng

shady145

Banned
HSC
lol 1 of my mates got a bribe by his parents, i think it was like 85+ uai=car, this is for 09 so he still working 4 it.

but me i dnt get any bribes to motivate me, i have to do it all myself lol.
the only recognition i get is if i get 100 percent in someting and then my parents say good, if i get say 97 percent then their just like mmmmmmmmhhhmmmmm.

I find listening to music very helpful aswell

chamelia

HSC
Hahaha.. My parents absolutely used to bribe me with money all through high school. Although I was happy for $100 here and there when I did really well.

And I know I can always count on grandparents to hand over a wad of cash come report card time. :) So I always had the motivation to work hard to get that every six months.

Showpony Stuart

HSC
no bribes,no self motvation....still i got better marks then i deserved...luckily

problem was i was so good at lying to my parents about weather i was doing work or not and getting them to go away so i could continue chatting on msn or playing games or whatnot they ended up detached from my schooling and subsequently seemed to not give a shit hehe.

it was lucky though cause i could top phys and engineering so it would seem as thouggh im working though in all honestly they were the only 2 things i was really good at and didnt have to work hard to go well at.

so it seems i was my own downfall, next time ill try to milk em for more :p

dp624

HSC
Um, ouch, good luck with FOUR 1sts in state...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
zzzz12345 said:
One of my friends has this deal with her parents:
-If she tops one subject (i.e. comes first in the state in something for the HSC) she gets a giant teddy bear
-If she tops two subjects she gets a kitten
-If she tops three subjects she gets a car
-If she tops four subjects (or all of her subjects) she gets $1,000,000

One has to wish her the best of luck.
yay, giant teddy bear for me!!! :)

Oh wait, mine was equal first. So small teddy bear for me!!! still yay!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)