Do you believe in God? (1 Viewer)

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
he already said he won't watch or read anything he doesn't like

i knew faith was basically making a virtue of willful ignorance but this guy takes it to a new level

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
he already said he won't watch or read anything he doesn't like

i knew faith was basically making a virtue of willful ignorance but this guy takes it to a new level
and i had such high hopes for enlightened discussion about religion and the foibles of mankind on a youth internet forum.

and i would've gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling kids

HSC
Lol m8 never knew the definitions were so meticulous. I just think that the truth of wheither god exists or not can't be ascertained (so far). Full stop.

Why should we choose to believe wheither god(s) exist or not if i think that the answer can't (so far) be found?
Technically the prefix a on theist just means lacking; i.e. lacking a belief.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Did you watch the funeral ?
i'll assume no.
Imagine your friend, son, daughter, mother etc run over by a tank.
Now a normal person, in there sane mind would probably seek revenge of some sort.
having the patience to bear the pain is Help From God.
having respect not the burn the Egyptian flag, is Help from God.

You dont believe in God? Why?
besides the reason that everyone says "he doesnt exist"
God wouldnt let West Boro exist.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
and i had such high hopes for enlightened discussion about religion and the foibles of mankind on a youth internet forum.

and i would've gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling kids
the discussion about stuff here is still better than most places

that's why i can't leave

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
Can I give you an example?
When you fall in love with someone, do you love them because they brainwashed you and bet you up (sounds stupid)
Or do you love them, when you are completely and utterly sane and aware that you love them.
God gave us free will and gave us a brain. If you are telling me that "you" or us as "humans" are incapable of deciding whether or not rape, murder, and slaughter is morally incorrect and unacceptable then it is OUR fault.
I always come across people who argue that its GOD's fault everything bad happens, never do we actually consider it to be our mishap.
If you gave an infant a loaded gun, and he subsequently shot someone with it, then are you not as culpable as if you had shot that person yourself?

In law there's this concept called duty of care: if you knew that your action, or inaction would cause harm to others, yet still carried on with it and did nothing to mitigate, let alone prevent, said harm, then you are to be held responsible for whatever harm that would result. If we could impose such a stringent obligation on ourselves, why couldn't god? Why couldn't god have made it so that we would not have any conception of, let alone the urge to do, evil? Free will and the inability to commit evil aren't mutually exclusive. god could give us free will and not make us capable of even thinking about evil. You can't 'choose' to fly like a bird if you didn't know what flying is in the first place. Having free will and having the capability for evil are two different things: free will does not imply the capability for evil any more than it does the capability for flight, neither does having the capability for evil imply that you are not a remote-controlled robot.

We lack the freedom to soar like an eagle or to swim like a fish, yet it would be wrong to say that we do not have freedom because of this, just as it would be wrong to say that we don't have free will if we didn't have the ability to perform evil acts. If god took away your ability to gallop like a pink unicorn, do you still have free will? Such a question is nonsensical as the ability to gallop like a unicorn isn't implicit in the idea of free will.

Like the ability to gallop like a unicorn, or to soar like an eagle, the capability for evil isn't contained in the notion of free will. But even if it were, what makes such a chimerical idea of unconstrained freewill so precious that it ought to be bought at the cost of evil ? Classical liberals asked themselves the same question regarding unconstrained liberty and found no valid answer. Hence the harm principle and the law of equal liberty. We seemed not to have suffered much from not being allowed to shoot whoever we want or to steal whatever we want from our neighbors. And if we could limit liberty in such a way that injustice is minimised, why couldn't god restrain freewill whilst maximising happiness ?

Considering that we place a strict standard of care on ourselves and our actions which might cause harm to others, considering that we actually took steps to address the implications of unconstrained liberty, does that not make us morally superior to your so called 'god' who doesn't even bother to eliminate evil? Is he unwilling, incapable, sadistic, or just doesn't give a damn?

we can't completely eradicate evil but we sure as hell try our hardest to. contrast this with your 'god' who just sits idly by while his 'children' exert despicable acts upon each other.

Damien1324

HSC
I haven't read much of the posts, but from what I've gathered, most of us who believe in God are being attacked for it. Let someone believe in what they want to believe. The evils of this world aren't because of God, it's because of humanity's free will. The free will of man is the reason people starve in this world, because we could easily contribute to charity and they wouldn't be. There's enough food on this world for all of us.

Religion allows people to have meaningful lives rather than we die and that's it.

And you know what's funny, atheists talk about contradiction, but what about the whole scientific theory that matter can not be created nor destroyed, yet the first atom just popped out of no where or was always here. Personally, I think a creator is a perfectly logical explanation for life. There are some that don't, that's their opinion.

Could people atheists on this board have some common decency and respect for a change? We get it, you have too much teenage angst and your life isn't as fulfilling as the rest of us who stand firm in our beliefs.

boris

Banned
HSC
I haven't read much of the posts, but from what I've gathered, most of us who believe in God are being attacked for it. Let someone believe in what they want to believe. The evils of this world aren't because of God, it's because of humanity's free will. The free will of man is the reason people starve in this world, because we could easily contribute to charity and they wouldn't be. There's enough food on this world for all of us.

Religion allows people to have meaningful lives rather than we die and that's it.

And you know what's funny, atheists talk about contradiction, but what about the whole scientific theory that matter can not be created nor destroyed, yet the first atom just popped out of no where or was always here. Personally, I think a creator is a perfectly logical explanation for life. There are some that don't, that's their opinion.

Could people atheists on this board have some common decency and respect for a change? We get it, you have too much teenage angst and your life isn't as fulfilling as the rest of us who stand firm in our beliefs.
srs brah

you cant derive meaning from life unless you have a higher being to believe in

lol omg you sad cunt

boris

Banned
HSC
i pose a question you you godfags

(christians explicitly)

life on earth is objectively pretty shit. most people have to work pretty hard and are fairly unhappy. evils in the world etc. why dont you just be careless and have an accident and die. go to heaven. bliss 4eva (its not suicide its just not putting as much effort into not having an accident)

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
i derive meaning from life by smoking billies at the train station

what of it?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

Turbo trolling

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I think I've come to the behaviour where I just assume anyone with actual religious beliefs is automatically attempting to troll

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Imagine if the Pope came out one day singing Trolololololololololol

and all the religious in the world just said "lols trolz u 4 fousands of yeers"

and the world was a better place

boris

Banned
HSC
I think I've come to the behaviour where I just assume anyone with actual religious beliefs is automatically attempting to troll
i wish that were the case but i cant bring myself to believe it without proof

because i know heaps of actual churchies and they cant be trolling they are too serious and keep to themselves etc

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
i pose a question you you godfags

(christians explicitly)

life on earth is objectively pretty shit. most people have to work pretty hard and are fairly unhappy. evils in the world etc. why dont you just be careless and have an accident and die. go to heaven. bliss 4eva (its not suicide its just not putting as much effort into not having an accident)
It's against God's law to deliberately kill yourself, AGAIN how is that not suicide???

We work hard on this earth so we can be granted eternal life in our 'heaven' :).

God <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)