Do we need to DATE OUR JOURNALS? (1 Viewer)

illmatic

NaS
HSC
Do we need to date our journals/log books?

Meaning, for each entry do we put;

"25 December 2004"

???

i need to know ASAP..

thanks heaps!!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
your teacher will probably get pissed off if you don't, because they have to clarify that you do research regularly etc. So if she/he's picky, then date your journal because you might lose marks that way.

But you won't get marks taken off for it at the marking centre. They don't look at your journal until there are some inconsistancies, or something unusual, like plagerism etc.

Girl got 50/50, never dated her journal. It's all good.

illmatic

NaS
HSC
alicia keys is sexy.

thanks for the help. i havent even started my journal yet im gonna make some shit up.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
I loved using the journal, it was a great place to vent. It really helps to date your entries when it comes to writing your reflection statement. Its true that the markers most probably wont read your journal, but I advocate using it properly rather than making stuff up at the end, as its really helpful when it comes to talking about 'the evolution of your work' in your reflection statement.

HSC
N/A
I didn't - because I was an erratic writer (none for three days, then BAM! An entire page!) and a non-dated journal made it look like I was more organised :D

However, I do think that using your journal properly is a very good idea. It's only the beginning of EE2 now - if you're already having to "make stuff up", what's it going to be like next year?!?!?!?!!!

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
ah see yes my journal was very erratic all through the first and second terms. I dont think it really matters if you date your entries and there is nothing for a few weeks

HSC
N/A
True. But then again, I think it differs from school to school. Most of my friends who dated their works actually put in "false" dates so it looked like they worked more consistently throughout the year. :p

I at least, had nothing to hide. :) LOL!

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I had an enormous gap of about 8 months where I wrote nothing at all in my journal. 4 days before handing the final major work in, I fudged more than 2/3s of my entries to make it look like I had been working consistently (which I had, really - I just never recorded it), complete with false dates.

Final mark 49/50. Not that I advocate this approach or anything :p - if anything, I'd recommend staying on top of your journal so you can concentrate on the important stuff.

deusexmachina

HSC
Yeah, yeah, date them...or don't. I did for some of the time, and then threw in some arbitrary dates the weekend before it's due. It'll work.

Jacks

HSC
I suggest you date them, my reason being that you can actually quote your journal entries in your reflection statement to really prove that you considered what you claim you did etc...I suppose if you had page numbers you could direct markers to a specific page, though I think it would have more effect if you dated them...of course quoting from your journal will probably only work if you use your journal properly and really record your thought processes, unless you can really fudge well. Markers love if you quote from your own work, so you should consider it if you believe it will work for you in your reflection statement.

Opium

:: Unbound ::
HSC
I originally didn't start dating ym journal as a I wrote it but my teacher suggested i did, so i went back and dated it quickly. Now whenever i write something in it just just jot 24.2.05 for example at the top of the page. Not hard or time consuming to do.

persephone

HSC
i dated out of habit and to keep track of what i did. i think it's a good idea because it shows how your major work progressed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)