Do Not Look In Here Unless You Are Ready!!! (1 Viewer)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Broad questions are good, just weave them into an argument you're comfortable with and force the marker to interpret the question as you have.

e.g. "The journey is a powerful force throughout literature and life as it allows humans to explore ideas/concepts/actions/behaviours/situations which they would normally be prevented from due to physical inhibitions" or some such.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
actually thats probably not the last thing i had to unlearn. too far back lol

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
gordo said:
how many ppl have u met who call a noun a naming word, a verb a doing word, an adjective a describing word, a conjunction a joining work etc

ppl in my year, in year 12, still do that.
i am not saying its there fault,
but it would have austen turning in her grave.
yeah your right - ppl now always say 'different to' instead of 'different from' and countless other things that have just become common. I guess it's just the evolution (decay) of english

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Ziff said:
Broad questions are good, just weave them into an argument you're comfortable with and force the marker to interpret the question as you have.

e.g. "The journey is a powerful force throughout literature and life as it allows humans to explore ideas/concepts/actions/behaviours/situations which they would normally be prevented from due to physical inhibitions" or some such.
you sound very prepared. :)

I wrote that it provides purpose and meaning for the person. I referred to journeys in texts that were positive and negative... a bit basic but I got the marks apparently because I could link. horah...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I partially blame the decay of english on some of the music we hear (like 50 cent.... dear god...) as well as internet and sms jargon. :rolleyes:

Ziff

HSC
N/A
bahodl said:
yeah your right - ppl now always say 'different to' instead of 'different from' and countless other things that have just become common. I guess it's just the evolution (decay) of english
"I would of" v. "I would have"

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
the teacher that v the teacher who
who did you go to the park with v whom did you go the park with

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
"whom" isn't used as much anymore. They say that it's going to die out. I think this is so interesting, because if any of you do Chaucer, middle english and the way english has changed is so fascinating

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yeah and then there are the people who don't know the difference between "affect" and "effect", "invoke" and "evoke" but worst of all is when it comes to homonyms.

They're, There, Their
Its, It's
You're, Your

They always say "err it doesn't matter, it's only e-mail/MSN/the internet". Then you read through their essays and find these mistakes riddled through it. Naturally they got some appalling mark.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Grammer is not important.
As long as you read enough and understand the basics of sentence structure, who cares about formalities, you can still put together sentences. When you're in the exam are you consciously thinking about nouns and verbs etc. No. It's more concepts/structure and paragraph structure that is important. Some leet people like myself know how to do it, but tons of people dont. Teachers are inept. Children should teach other children. Fuck the system.

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
yeah there are heaps of little things like that, and it really is a shame if it proves to be the beginning of the decay of english.
All of it is really interesting if not a little sad, but some people simply say its the evolution of the language - even correct grammar that we should have now is different from how it was a couple of centuries ago, and I'm sure the people then who liked the old grammar lamented the changes. I guess it's partly due to english grammar being based on latin, which is a completely different and dead language and so often the rules seem (and sometimes are) stupid when they're applied in english. meh.. lol

Yeah we only have one english teacher who even corrects spelling and grammar in essay marking and shes retiring at the end of this year

Last edited:

CrashOveride

HSC
i think they should mark on that criteria as well...i mean do they? do u lose marks for making a decent number of spelling mistakes or grammatical errors ?

Bretz

Damn got beaten to it in a way, the marking guidelines dont have anything about correct spelling, homonyms and whatever else. A good essay takes complex concepts and makes them sound simple.
Markers cannot be discriminative with the depth of students level of vocabulary, so basically i can speak (write) like a little kid (child) and still get the same marks as anyone else. ;p

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
jbrettell said:
Damn got beaten to it in a way, the marking guidelines dont have anything about correct spelling, homonyms and whatever else. A good essay takes complex concepts and makes them sound simple.
Markers cannot be discriminative with the depth of students level of vocabulary, so basically i can speak (write) like a little kid (child) and still get the same marks as anyone else. ;p
that's not necessarily true I think one of the guidelines for band 6 is that you use sophisticated language

omg_a

HSC
as regards to whom...i actully think it sounds strange without it.
but as we're being technical, 'whom did you go to the park with' is not correct because you can't end a sentence with a preposition-it's actually 'with whom did you go to the park'

and it's vs its. does anyone know apostrophes???

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
yeah they changed the apostrophe thing a while ago so that when you were talking about a dog and u said 'its tail' it had no apostrophe cause it was too confused with 'it's a nice day' so now its basically only when you shorten 'it is' :S

Bretz

Its not as much the sophistication of the language but if u can show you have some understanding.
Basically if i use a one syllable word which has the same meaning as a two or three then i'm not going to be marked down if it gets across the same message.

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
I think the shift away from the emphasis on grammar in English is more a result of todays postmodern culture. Though whether Austen would be turning in her grave is certainly questionable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)