Do marks mean anything for averages (1 Viewer)

frederica

phat
HSC
When universities work out averages .. do they take into consideration marks?

ie. Do you have a better chance of transfering / maintaining a distinction avg if your marks are say 84 .. as opposed to 76?

For example ..

If a student were to receive:

subject 1 .... 50 pass
subject 2 ..... 50 pass
subject 3 ..... 50 pass
subject 4 ..... 86 high distinction

The average mark is around 60, so would they get a pass average? Or seeing that they got one high distinction .. is it worked out more through wording and would they get a credit avg?

Obviously this is an extreme example .. I just want to know how much I should be stewing about receiving 84 in a subject .. is it a one mark difference, or is the gap between a distinction and a high distinction actually more valuable than that?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Winston

HSC
I'm pretty sure it's just finding the average as you normally would

and for the above marks the average as you stated is 60?

And that's a Pass Average.

/EDIT wait a min the above marks will get a 71.5 average, so sounds like a credit average.

Pass == >=50

Credit == >=65

Distinction == >=75

High-Distinction == >=85

sneaky pete

HSC
N/A
frederica said:
Obviously this is an extreme example .. I just want to know how much I should be stewing about receiving 84 in a subject .. is it a one mark difference, or is the gap between a distinction and a high distinction actually more valuable than that?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

I think I understand what your asking.

-the difference between and 84 (D) and 85 (HD) is exactly 'one mark'. the fact that 84(D) is one less than a HD is meaningless,
60(P), 100(HD) same as 80(D), 80(D)
84(D), 84(D), higher than 85(HD), 82(D)

frederica

phat
HSC
Great ! Yep that's what I meant. Thanks both of you!

That works. Now I've just got to wait for the other 3 marks .. bloody Usyd.

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
You only really spew about getting marks one below the Cutoff, 84 for example; for GPA(Grade Point Average) reasons and of course bragging :D. GPA is determined simply by what performance band (P,C,D,HD) you are in. As an example: you do subjects and get 90, 92, 89, 84 in them. Your WAM (Weighted Average Mark) would be 88.75, and your GPA would be 6.75, wheras if you had of gotten 4 HDs, even if they were all 85 (giving you a WAM of 85) you would have a higher GPA than the person who got a WAM of 88.75.

NB: GPA system: 7 = HD, 6 = D, 5 = C, 4 = P

santaslayer

HSC
GPA = the sum of (numerical grade values x credit point values) divided by the total credit point values :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)