Do I need Yr 12 Math Ext 1 to get into biomedical Engineering degree? (1 Viewer)

Should I Drop math ext 1?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters

Nbarker1

HSC
Im interested in doing biomedical engineering in university.
However i want to do science extension in Year 12 (I know it doesn't scale the best but i'm passionate) and drop Math Ext 1.
So far Math Ext 1 in Yr 11 has been pretty easy as I did Math Adv by an accelerated course.

I also do the 3 major sciences (Bio, chem, phys) and am slightly worried abt the workload in yr 12
I also enjoy science more than math so I'm worried I'll get burnt out in the math ext 1 yr 12 course

Any recommendations? Is the bridging course in uni for 3 unit math hard if i alr understand the yr 11 content?
Alternatively i was also interested is nanotechnology however i have a passion for STEM

Last edited:

TankKuno

HSC
considering any engineering course needs a strong foundation in mathematics, i would not recommend dropping the course.
3u Math also scales pretty good so thats just a bonus.
However i also strongly believe in studying what u are passionate about so u can maximise marks and not get burnt out.

Still based on my own experiences, i would strongly recommend keeping 3u maths to maximise atar and have strong foundation in the engineering aspect of the course.

Hope my advice helps :D!!!

Last edited:

carrotsss

HSC
If you’re finding maths ext 1 easy then I really don’t see why you’d drop it, being good at maths ext 1 is great for your ATAR, course (bridging courses are very fast paced and you might as well learn it now if you’re gonna learn it away), pretty much everything. With advanced done because you accelerated it the workload should feel pretty breezy, you’ll be fine.

Nbarker1

HSC
considering any engineering course needs a strong foundation in mathematics, i would not recommend dropping the course.
3u Math also scales pretty good so thats just a bonus.
However i also strongly believe in studying what u are passionate about so u can maximise marks and not get burnt out.

Still based on my own experiences, i would strongly recommend keeping 3u maths to maximise atar and have strong foundation in the engineering aspect of the course.

Hope my advice helps :D!!!
Yea thanks for the advice!
My main concern abt the yr 12 math ext 1 course is that I won't study as much as I don't enjoy math as much as I do science
On average how hard do u think the math ext 1 yr 12 course was in comparison to yr11?
Thank u again! :)

TankKuno

HSC
Yea thanks for the advice!
My main concern abt the yr 12 math ext 1 course is that I won't study as much as I don't enjoy math as much as I do science
On average how hard do u think the math ext 1 yr 12 course was in comparison to yr11?
Thank u again! :)
to be quite honest, there isn't much different to the yr 12 syllabus to the yr 11 in terms of difficulty however this may be subjective. I recommend doing as much past paper questions of topics u are learning at that moment and the rest of the year shouldn't be hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)