Do HSC actually have an impact? (1 Viewer)

SuperDuperCool

HSC
Ok I just got my maths advanced term 2 marks back and let’s just say I’m pretty disappointed. Even though I’ll try hard the next two tests I don’t think my rank can dramatically improve. Everything i’ve read says your HSC marks just depend on your internal rank so even if i do insanely good in the HSCs am i bound to get back the same mark as my internals?

Armon

HSC
Lol, no. If anything it is the other way round. Your internal marks, by the time you see them on your hsc results email, have been moderated to come into line with your hsc marks -> that’s how we get fair comparison between schools. If a teacher gives all his students marks between 90-100, but in hsc no one gets above 70, then no one in that cohort will receive an internal mark above 70. That 100 mark will be moderated down 30 whole points as a result. Conversely, if a teacher only gives his students marks between 50 and 60 and all the students get marks in the 90s, then everyone’s internal marks will be in the 90s. Internal mark post alignment is 50% of your total mark. The other portion is your exam mark; this is how you did on the hsc. This mark is not affected by your cohort, nor your school, nor nothing. It is literally just your mark on the hsc + alignment, which is a process done the exact same to every student irrespective of cohort or school or whatever. Your assessment marks right now mean barely anything, and the percentage you calculate from multiplying your marks by their weightings and blah blah blah is not going to be the internal mark you receive. Idk who spouted that crap to you but it’s ridiculous.

liamkk112

HSC
Ok I just got my maths advanced term 2 marks back and let’s just say I’m pretty disappointed. Even though I’ll try hard the next two tests I don’t think my rank can dramatically improve. Everything i’ve read says your HSC marks just depend on your internal rank so even if i do insanely good in the HSCs am i bound to get back the same mark as my internals?
well “ 50% “ of your final mark is determined by your hsc, so that’s already a sizeable chunk of your mark that you can get back. but in reality it’s actually more, because doing well in the hsc will cause your internal mark to be brought up (provided your rank is somewhat decent and your cohort also does well). eg i only got probably a 65-75% average internal mark for physics, however since i was ranked second and got 95 in the hsc i managed to get a band 6 at the end of it as my internal mark was brought up to a 88. you might only be ranked 5th but if your cohort does decent then this won’t be so bad, in my case we had a few people who did pretty well so rank 1-5 was probably decent but if your cohort performs well in the hsc ranks 1-10 or 1-15 can be still a good rank, and even if u are below that ur internal mark will still likely by increased. so basically, it’s not over yet at all, just try to increase ur rank as much as possible in the next asssessments and perform as well as u can in the hsc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)