Do Films Form Ppls Perceptions of Homosexuals? (1 Viewer)

kimmi06

HSC
Okay, so basically I wanna know what everyone thinks because: I'm bloody nosy, have had this conversation recently, AND I love a good debate, haha!
Do you think films portraying homosexuals shape heterosexual males perceptions and attitudes about homosexual men? Long question- I know, but what do you think? Yes? No? Maybe? And why? It would be great to get ideas/opinions from homosexuals and heterosexuals (of any sex), so get writing, I'm interested to see what people think :)

passion89

HSC
Hmmm...I reckon films could definately influence people's perceptions of homosexuals as films and the media itself influence a lot in everyone's every day life.

Wilsmore

HSC
I agree with "passion89"...people's perception of the world is greatly influenced by the media medium and in regards to homosexuality this is certainly the case.

The film industry has certainly moved with the times or rather influenced the times because the contemporary film industry now showcases homosexuality to the world. This has created acceptance and tolerance by members of society that would normally have frowned upon homosexuality but it has also built up this unrealistic stereotype of the homosexual population.

If we want people to accept different cultures, ideals, sexual orientations etc then there can be no stereotypes...we have to view people in "reality" without preconceptions...it's just like the abuse that Muslims face today...a vast majority of people think that they are all terrorists when in actual fact it is a small percentage of the Muslim community that have created this stigma.

jest

HSC
i agree, the media does influence heaps of people about a number of issues. though its hard not to avoid the media since its everywhere and if people are constantly told about the stereotypes that exist about different people (which is what the media predominantly does) more than likely, they will accept that type of perception of different people.

Zoe 2508

HSC
I agree wholeheartedly.. I come from the Shire (well not technically me, but my schools there) and none of my mates, both guys and girls, have ever been exposed to someone of homosexual orientation, and thus their idea of them is completely shaped by what they view on television and through film..

This notion of sensationalised homosexuality is influencing their own attitudes and beliefs, and adding to this, they care not to associate themselves with that aspect of society due to the generalisations made by the media.

Now i am not trying to say that my friends have been influenced and that i have not. Quite the opposite, i agree that my perception of homosexuals has been tainted, but i have a few gay mates and i know that they're just like everybody else. They speak with a deep voice, they play footy, do drama or whatever tickles their fancy, but they just like people of the same sex..

It really is an advantage to have gay friends as it gives you some perspective, but unfortunately for those who dont, their perceptions are based largely on the representation of homosexuality in both films and on television.

11kloseboy

HSC
N/A
Yes entertainment does create homosexuals .............Carson Daley cough cough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)