Dna;; !!!!! T_t (1 Viewer)

Kukudas

HSC > WOW
HSC
I was looking at some papers;;
and saw this two question...
and i was like ...

how would u guys answer this question?

a) Explain the significance of the process of DNA replication using a labeled diagram of a model of the DNA molecule to support your answer (3)

b) Construct a flow chart to show how changes in DNA sequences can result in changes in cell activity. (3)

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
Kukudas said:
I was looking at some papers;;
and saw this two question...
and i was like ...

how would u guys answer this question?

a) Explain the significance of the process of DNA replication using a labeled diagram of a model of the DNA molecule to support your answer (3)

b) Construct a flow chart to show how changes in DNA sequences can result in changes in cell activity. (3)

A) Dna replication is the process by which, the dna strand unwinds and has its double strand ladder structure seperated via enzymes and from here lose nucleotides combine to form a complementary strand for each strand, thus replicating the structure. Dna replication is important for the fact that it involves large amounts of genetic information, such that it enables genetic information to be passed on from generation to generation, hence ensuring continuity of a species, but more importantly it is significant in taht crossing over and other genetic variations may occur, therefore increasing variation that may result as a benefit for the organism in adapting to its habitat.

Suggestions for the diagram: perhaps a diagram showing the process of dna replication or perhaps an image of crossing over and how there may be genetic differences.

b)
Dna sequence: 1)ATGCAT 2) AGGCAT

Mrna Sequence: 1) UACGUA 2) UCCGUA

amino acid produced: 1) correct amino acid 2) incorrect enzyme produced

enzyme produced: 1) functional enzyme 2)disfunctional enzyme

the right hand column shows a mutation, a change in genetic information, as base pair substituion occurs, the T is substituted with the G. This causes a change in the mrna sequence hence the incorrect amino acid, creating a disfunctional enzyme, hence due to the incorrect polypeptide or enzyme produced, cell activity is altered and abnormal.

Last edited:

SSejychan

HSC
Great answers Buiboi :)

And just to add on to his answer, for a), doesn't DNA replication also assist in the maintenance of the health of the individual, because copying errors are repaired by dna repair enzymes such as dna polymerase (which controls the formation of mRNA) - the repair enzyme uses the normal/undamaged strand of dna as a template to replace the damaged strand of dna, thus assisting in the maintenance of health and repair.

edit: .... wait... i think i'm getting genetics mixed up with this... ><"

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)