division by zero (1 Viewer)

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
can it be defined? could a new number system be created for it? any thoughts?

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
aww..my hopes were so high:p.....but seriously..havn't you ever thought about it...i am intriged.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Unless you formulate your own personal numerical system which only you would know.

kony

HSC
by taking a limit, we can see that it approaches +- infinity.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Don't rush your way to the Nobel Prize by luck, mate =]

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
cwag said:
can it be defined? could a new number system be created for it? any thoughts?
Yep, certainly. Basically any algebra that forms a commutative ring (e.g. real numbers, integers, and some matrix subsets like the complex numbers, any integral domain) can be extended to include division by zero using wheel theory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_theory

minijumbuk said:
Don't rush your way to the Nobel Prize by luck, mate =]
There is no Nobel Prize for maths. The Fields Medals and Abel Prize were invented because of this.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
If division by 0 were to be defined, then the number system used would imply that all intergers a can be equal to any othe integer b.

a/0 = x
a = 0*x = 0

3a/0 = x
3a = 0*x = 0

.:. 3a = a

Something along those lines.

YannY

HSC
Would you agree that any number times 0 is zero? But with a division of zero, i,e a/0 . 0 then the zero cancels out.

Another way to prove this is via polynomials. p(x)=x^2+a
P(0)=a
but p(x)=x (x+a/x)
this p(0)=0 . a/0
supposedly if a/0 is defined then 0 . a/0 = a??? this then defies the law where all numbers x 0 is zero.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
YannY said:
Would you agree that any number times 0 is zero? But with a division of zero, i,e a/0 . 0 then the zero cancels out.

Another way to prove this is via polynomials. p(x)=x^2+a
P(0)=a
but p(x)=x (x+a/x)
this p(0)=0 . a/0
supposedly if a/0 is defined then 0 . a/0 = a??? this then defies the law where all numbers x 0 is zero.
Actually, you don't need anything so complex. One of the axioms for the real numbers specifically states 0 has no multiplicative inverse.

Or are you trying to give some misguided proof against Wheel algebras?

The thread starter specifically asked if there exists any number system or modification that includes a definition of division by zero.

The answer is an unequivocal yes.

Like-wise there exists an alteration of the real number system that allows a definition of calculus without recourse to limits. The hyperreals. It extends the number system to include infinite and infinitesimal numbers.

Foxodi

HSC
It's pretty much infinite - I dont think you can do anything more then accept that it's 'untouchable' maths :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)