Distinction Courses 2007 (1 Viewer)

Bookie

Banned
HSC
I dont think it would vary too much. They probably just pick the best guys suited each year, although they do tend to go for a variety i guess. like i said, there was a guy who got in getting 70s, doing 6 units. There were a couple of guys at my school who got high 80s but only did 2 units, so were shut down. But yeah, I personally didnt think id get in doing just 2 units of maths, but i did, so nerr.

You'll be fine with 3 units. Make sure you can get a band 6 in 2 unit and hopefully something high in 3u too, but you should be fine. Good luck, and yes, if you have questions, fire away please, I'm more than happy to help.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Bookie dude, what was your 'academic history' that you sent to them, before you got in? Like what did you send in, what were the report marks that you showed them - pleeeeaaaaaseee?

Bookie

Banned
HSC
live.fast said:
Bookie dude, what was your 'academic history' that you sent to them, before you got in? Like what did you send in, what were the report marks that you showed them - pleeeeaaaaaseee?
Hey, well, they attach this form you have to fill out, and on it there are columns for your half yearly marks and yearly marks and the ranks you got for those subjects. (Personally, I'm shithouse internally) You then give this form to your principal who then ticks off "capable, very capable, incapable" to a variety of categories, ie community stuff, school service, sport, what not. Dont think that matter too much. But yeah, they do ask for your half yearly and yearly marks, or maybe it was just yearly. Just copy them off your report and stick them in. Provided you do well externally and youve got respectable internal ranks (mine were like 7/120 for maths, 50/130 for phsyics, 80/120 for economics, 40/210 for english) you shouldnt have any problems getting in. One more thing I realised is that many of the cosmology guys are involved in physics/chem olympads and International Science School stuff so if you get involved in those it may boost your chances. Thats about all I can say off the top of my head. Ask more stuff if you want.

Last edited:

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Yeah, you take over answering the questions if they come :p

kids, thats david, he's better than me at cosmology. he accelerated 4 units last year. he will answer your questions

live.fast

HSC
N/A
what if say, we do really well in 2 unit accelerated maths, like get 97/98, but we're also doing accelerated 3 unit maths, and we do shiitthouse in that?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
webby234 said:
I think you'd still get in - there was one student who only got 79 or something in 4U Maths, but did well enough in 2 and 3U to get in. If Bookie can get in only doing 2U, you should get in if you do well in 2U regardless of your 3U result - they wouldn't penalise you for doing 3U.
That's comforting to know :) My 2 unit maths mark should give me a good chance of getting in.
webby234 said:
Haha Bookie - recruiting for next year?
I already decided to try to get into Cosmology before this thread came up :p

Bookie

Banned
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I already decided to try to get into Cosmology before this thread came up :p
You've got til information day in mid November to have a good background thnk of it.

You have a week from information day in which to get your forms sorted out

Then they'll call you soon in early December if you get in.

But early plannings good. I personally didnt know about Cosmology till November.

Chocolat

HSC
Wow...how clever do you have to be to do a Distinction Course! Freaky stuff...though I guess that's why it's given the name 'Distinction Course'...wow! And here I was thinking it was just your usual 1 Unit subject...lol!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)