Distinction Course Student (1 Viewer)

Fragmented

HSC
N/A
Hello, if you could help me with the following, thank you very much.

In order to study a Distinction Course, you need to accelerate one subject ahead of your HSC year. It states you need to achieve at the highest level, or something similar to that in your accelerated course. Also, it states you must achieve general overall academic excellence in the rest of your subjects, or something similar to that.

I am currently in Year 11, and accelerating in Biology. I am averaging around 93%.

If you have accelerated before, I would like to know if you could tell me if I'm doing well enough in my course in order to study a Distinction course.

I generally rank first / near first in all of my subjects. None of my ranks are below rank 9. Do you think I would be able to make it into either Comparative Literature / Philosophy / Cosomology?

Any help is appreciated...

My main concern is that I don't know what level of achievement they would like in order for me to make it into either of these courses, and if I would make it.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Fragmented said:

In order to study a Distinction Course, you need to accelerate one subject ahead of your HSC year. It states you need to achieve at the highest level, or something similar to that in your accelerated course. Also, it states you must achieve general overall academic excellence in the rest of your subjects, or something similar to that.

I am currently in Year 11, and accelerating in Biology. I am averaging around 93%.

If you have accelerated before, I would like to know if you could tell me if I'm doing well enough in my course in order to study a Distinction course.

I generally rank first / near first in all of my subjects. None of my ranks are below rank 9. Do you think I would be able to make it into either Comparative Literature / Philosophy / Cosomology?

My main concern is that I don't know what level of achievement they would like in order for me to make it into either of these courses, and if I would make it.
I'm pretty sure that you need a band six in your accelerated course. Seeing as you are averaging in the 90's in biology it seems likely that you can achieve a band six, but of course it depends on how you do overall and how easy/hard your school marks.

Fragmented

HSC
N/A
midifile said:
I'm pretty sure that you need a band six in your accelerated course. Seeing as you are averaging in the 90's in biology it seems likely that you can achieve a band six, but of course it depends on how you do overall and how easy/hard your school marks.
So, if I receive a band six and my ranks stayed basically the same, I would be able to study any Distinction Course?

Thank you regardless.

runnable

HSC
Don't worry. I know quite a lot of people who got into Distinction courses with worse overall results than yours.

Nevertheless you need to do well in your Biology to get in. I think Band 6 is the mark.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Fragmented said:
So, if I receive a band six and my ranks stayed basically the same, I would be able to study any Distinction Course?

Thank you regardless.
Im pretty sure (dont quote me on it though because I just remember reading it somewhere a when I was thinking of doing an extension course)

What course are you thinking of doing?

Last edited:

Fragmented

HSC
N/A
midifile said:
Im pretty sure (dont quote me on it though because I just remember reading it somewhere a when I was thinking of doing an extension course)

What course are you thinking of doing?
Philosophy.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Fragmented said:

I think you have a decent chance at this. I am going to apply as well as soon as I make sure I get my marks back from HSC Mathematics and HSC Mathematics Extension 1.

Fragmented

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
I think you have a decent chance at this. I am going to apply as well as soon as I make sure I get my marks back from HSC Mathematics and HSC Mathematics Extension 1.
Thanks to everyone that replied. Hopefully, I will be able to do it.

Are you planning on Cosmology? Good luck, I'm sure you'll make which course you choose.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Fragmented said:
Thanks to everyone that replied. Hopefully, I will be able to do it.

Are you planning on Cosmology? Good luck, I'm sure you'll make which course you choose.
Yes. I am not very enthusiastic about the fact that cosmology is not a popular option for most of accelerants.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Fragmented said:
Philosophy.
Awesome. I know the guy who came first in the state in philosophy in 2006

lyounamu said:
Yes. I am not very enthusiastic about the fact that cosmology is not a popular option for most of accelerants.
Why does it matter if it not a popular option?

Last edited by a moderator:

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
lyounamu said:
Really? :confused:

All the guys I know are doing Cosmology (3 of them).

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Cosmology looks pretty much likean extension of the Comic Engine module and Astrophysics module in physics (looked through a past exam).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
midifile said:
Why does it matter if it not a popular option?
I have an uneasy feeling that the Cosmology may not continue if it does not have enough number of students. :cold:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
lyounamu said:
I have an uneasy feeling that the Cosmology may not continue if it does not have enough number of students. :cold:
Where did u get that impression from? Their's still alot of students from selective schools doing it this year from what i've been told, don't know about the 09 applicants though.

Chosta

Sydney
HSC
I did cosmology in 2003. I accelerated in 2u math. I got upper band 5 when i did it in yr 11 and got into the course. If the course isnt popular, then your in luck! they will still fill in the numbers (generally) with the best and brightest ones who apply for the course.

Dont worry too much. Use this as motivation to kill Biology in yr11...

PS. Cosmology was the best course ever! the trips were awesome cause you have craploads of fun and freetime at daytime and stay up late nights looking at stars, planets and comets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)