Distinction Average? (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
What marks would be considered a distinction average at university? How hard is it to get a distinction average, say, in arts courses?

maniacguy

A distinction average means an average of 75%

Uni marks basically go:
High Distinction = 85
Distinction = 75
Credit = 65
Pass = 50
Pass Conceded = 46
Fail = below 46

As for how hard, that would depend on the subject and how you are doing in it.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
We UNSW pplz will tell u how hard it is to get a D average wen our results are released on the 18th of july....else, talk to Lazarus, he was hardworking and attained a D average and transferred to Law

it is harder than HSC in most cases, because its not as 'fair', ie, most subjects use distorted scaling methods, and distribute final marks based on a 'bell curve' scenario

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
at the beginning of our semester we were told by second year students that we were 'allowed' to fail 1 of our electives each semester... at the end of semester we were told by our tutor that it was a crock of shit =/

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
i got two d averages from my subjects, and a credit and a pass. my subjects may be easy, but meh i will take it

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Pass Conceded = 46
Not necessarily, getting a conceded pass is more a matter of luck rather than marks. You could get 49 and still fail. Conceded passes are generally given to those who did reasonably well in other subjects, but stuffed up in a certain subject and got just under 50. It depends on how well you've done in other subjects or if you have a history of reasonably good marks. It also depends on how generous the faculty is, for them to let you scrape through with a conceded pass.

maniacguy

To finish a degree you have to have satisfactorily completed (not failed) a certain number of units. Hence if you fail a subject you do another in its place (or, if it turns out to be a core subject, you repeat it).

Wogboy you're right - Pass Conceded is somewhat more complicated than just 46+, although I doubt it really matters - everyone should be aiming for at the least a pass and then think about PC if it comes up.

Generator

HSC
N/A
it would depend on the degree, to tell the truth, but after a year and a half it seems as though getting a d average with a little work isn't hard at all, although going above 80 with that average would be bloody hard.

Morgues

i think it depends on the subject

For one of my subjects I basically crammed the night before and got a D but for another i did quite a lot of work and thought i aced the exam but only got a credit

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I agree with Morgues.. it depends on the subject and how many people are doing the subject AND the lecturer.

It's my firm belief that getting a D average in Engineering or Law is a hell of a lot harder than getting a D average in, say, Arts, but that's because I'm good at Arts stuff and crap at Engineering stuff. :)

On the other hand my sister is going into her 3.5th semester with a WAM of 83ish, doing Eng/Sci.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
But I guess u could say thats a bit unfair if u are transferring, ie, do all "easy" subjects and get HD's, and get a GPA of 7 and transfer to say, Law (provided ur UAI is not too low of course)

izi

HSC
i got a distincton average and i do vet science
so its either really easy to get distinction average or i am just a genius and didnt know it until now (i like the second option better)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Considering the final exam for one subject might be worth 80% and is 100 MC questions and the final for another subject might be worth 80% and is five essays (am I exaggerating?) it's hard to judge how hard or easy a subject should be...

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
multiple choice is the best!
a glimmer of hope for stupid ppl like myself :D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
i loved MC's in my microeconomics last semes...the ones in the exams were ripped straight off the study guide, so if u did them, u automatically already knew the answer :rolleyes:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
at least you have a 20-25% chance of a right answer in MC

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
i am doing an arts course and i managed to get a D avg. It was pretty damn easy. But alot of ppl in my course barely managed a Credit average.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)