Distinction Average (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
haha, why is the trend like this? people ending up do bad in the HSC get great uni marks.grades and when people do well in the HSC end up doing bad in uni. Such a great philosophy :uhhuh:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Well I had no motivation in high-school. I was too bored and lazy and couldn't be bothered to do anything. I was only aiming for a low UAI (about 73.1) and I thought I would get there no worries. Anyway, when I didn't get into my course I had some motivation to do well because I wanted to transfer:).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
theone123 said:
haha, why is the trend like this? people ending up do bad in the HSC get great uni marks.grades and when people do well in the HSC end up doing bad in uni. Such a great philosophy :uhhuh:
Perhaps its purely psychological especially if someone with a high uai does a course with a low cutoff. eg. someone doing bachelor of arts with a 99uai. They tend to think that their competition isn't of a high caliber and that university isnt all too important as long as they do alright.
A lot of people who get higher UAI's also do courses that their parents want them to do. I've spoken to all too many people in commerce related subjects who have no real aptitude or interest in the area. They're only doing the course because of parental wishes.
Needless to say this isnt the ideal way to inspire oneself to achieve well. Also through school you have a lot more parental pressure (eg. you must study! this upcoming exam will shape your life! mum and I are going to have sex now!)
In uni its free-for-all.
Also, the loose nature of uni sees even the most studious of people get into habits of missing classes.
Lots of people tend to study well under pressure (ie schooling environment). I personally study a lot better when theres no real pressure coming: i can work at my own pace. I get inspired more that way.

Furthermore, I'm really hoping for an upper D average :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Motivation is a key factor.
In first year, everyone is so eager and get higher grades. In my case, I wanted to transfer so I studied hard and got a D average, which I've maintained until now (it gets increasingly harder to maintain come 3rd year though)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
So, which universities bell curve their marks (in any shape or form) for B Commerce subjects?
I'd say all of them. Think of the ramifications if they didn't. A lecturer doesn't predict the classes standard properly and sets the exam as way too easy. 80% of the class then get a HD. Those 80% of people all use the opportunity to transfer to another higher uai course.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I am pretty sure Newcastle University doesn't scale marks/fit them to the bell curve. If everyone gets High Distinctions, everyone gets High Distinctions (which would never happen no matter how easy the exam was because there will always be people who do nothing for the course):).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Perhaps they don't ordinarily scale the marks, but if an extreme case like the one I described occurs some level of scaling would occur.
Marketing 1001 at usyd is apparently easy to excel in (think 2 multiple choice tests). It's easier to get an hd in then most other subjects, but it gets scaled slightly.
You still won't get a symetrical bell curve - you'd get one skewed right.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
A direct quote from one of my lecturers last year, " If everyone gets High Distinctions, that is great, everyone gets High Distinctions. I would be ecstatic.":).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
my lecturer wasn't aware that usyd had any scaling. :p

stazi

Nightman
HSC
if you can be bothered and if youre going past your student services center (or its equivelant) could you find out by any chance? I'd be very interested to know this.
I'm going to be writing an extensive HSC-PREFERENCES-SELECTING UNI-TRANSFERS-STUDYING AT UNI
guide and this would help with some suggestions.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Well I basically never go past my Student Services Centre as it is on the other side of the University to where my classes are. I can tell you however, that in addition to my above evidence, I can tell you that I added up all my raw marks for another one of my subjects and I got the exact mark that I calculated for my official final result:).

S

Shuter

I'll just point out that a distinction average is pretty damn easy. I will probably end up with that at least. Currently my weighted average of assessments across all courses I have received back is 90.7%

If you're only just passing you must be moronic.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
It depends on the course. Also, no matter what course you do, I know for one that you would be hard pressed to pass if you didn't do any work whatsoever:).

S

Shuter

Not doing any work at all while you're paying $3000 a semster to be at uni would be classed as moronic.

mishka

HSC
N/A
Shuter said:
I'll just point out that a distinction average is pretty damn easy. I will probably end up with that at least. Currently my weighted average of assessments across all courses I have received back is 90.7%

If you're only just passing you must be moronic.
it totally depends on what subject. for instance my very first assignment at uni i got 10.5/20 and i was crushed. it was a psychology subject - apparently the one "most hated" at our campus.

i've received other marks back, got a few higher marks including a hd for a maths essay. so totally dependent on subject, how you're connecting with the material, and the work you put into it yourself.

but people coming straight from high school shouldn't assume they're going to get over 80s or whatever just because they did when they were in year 12 (don't make my mistake.) it only means you'll be disappointed if and when you get that barely-pass mark back. once you've settled into the uni routine you become more comfortable with assignment procedures etc.

Last edited:
S

Shuter

mishka said:
it only means you'll be disappointed if and when you get that barely-pass mark back. once you've settled into the uni routine you become more comfortable with assignment procedures etc.
You SHOULD be dissapointed with a barely pass mark. Uni isn't about settling in and "just passing". Passing is easy, it's the extra knowledge that's important.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Shuter said:
You SHOULD be dissapointed with a barely pass mark. Uni isn't about settling in and "just passing". Passing is easy, it's the extra knowledge that's important.
I disagree ppl shouldnt worry as much about uni aslong as they pass

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)