Distance between the rods??? It changes! (1 Viewer)

yankyfly

HSC
nittyc said:
thats complete bullshit. the gradient is absolutely relevant; thats why they got u to draw the graph.

the reason they got you to draw the graph was to get the initial weight of the rod. From there you just had to sub a point into the equation.

mlinger

HSC
i got 2.5cm... (were u suppose to go from the gradient aye??? cos i didnt) i used a point that fitted on my line of best fit... i found the weight force in newtons wen the current was 0 and wen the current was 20 amps in the lower rod... i then subtracted them to give the force of attraction... then used the parallel lines formula..

nittyc

HSC
yankyfly said:
the reason they got you to draw the graph was to get the initial weight of the rod. From there you just had to sub a point into the equation.
How can you though? ur ratio of mass to amps is completely incorrect! look at the first point 0 and something else?!

nittyc

HSC
ah u did it a different why, u used change in--> which is the same, but i'm not sure about your method: look at the solution i posted a few up and comment.

SL33pY

ceo of the banana factory
HSC
arghh... i just used the formula... at 8 amps..
man scrwed up this question hardcore i did everything except minus the weight of the rod.. everything would be wrong after that...
dammit

mlinger

HSC
nittyc said:
ah u did it a different why, u used change in--> which is the same, but i'm not sure about your method: look at the solution i posted a few up and comment.
what answer did u get??? because i recon both ways are correct...

Benmc

HSC
mlinger said:
i got 2.5cm... (were u suppose to go from the gradient aye??? cos i didnt) i used a point that fitted on my line of best fit... i found the weight force in newtons wen the current was 0 and wen the current was 20 amps in the lower rod... i then subtracted them to give the force of attraction... then used the parallel lines formula..
Yeah thats what i did. Use a current of 8 Amps as my other amp tho but i calculated the weight force in newetons when the current was 0 and 8. Then used that force and substituted all the other values in to get a distance value of 0.026 m or rougly 2.6cm.

To calculate the force i used F=ma with a =9.8.

Hopefully thats around what everyone did.

bboyelement

HSC
i remembered i put down 0.02 metres .... it really depends on what point you chosen to work your calculation

and what gravity you used ...

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
Benmc said:
Yeah thats what i did. Use a current of 8 Amps as my other amp tho but i calculated the weight force in newetons when the current was 0 and 8. Then used that force and substituted all the other values in to get a distance value of 0.026 m or rougly 2.6cm.

To calculate the force i used F=ma with a =9.8.

Hopefully thats around what everyone did.
Thats what I did, I used the 8 amps too.
I got around that answer 0.023m I think , I used g as 9.8.

Atleast this question made mild sense, and yes I am sure the only reason for the graph was the mass using your line of best fit, because I dont know what kg/Amps give you at all.......

But damn I stuffed that test

raikkonen_rulez

HSC
I didn't really get the question... I subbed multiple values of current and the mass, but the distance changes. In the end I subbed in the first value which was 2.8A cause I thought it would be the closest to the right value. But I don't think they're gonna give me marks for that. Maybe 1 for writing the formula.

Btw, I got 2.48* 10^-2 (or -3, I seriously can't remember)

dunno04

HSC
i got 23mm
Which is 2.3 mm

and i'm pretty sure i am right
Pretty....

charismo

HSC
the mass doesnt change... the weight force does due to the increased current flowing throwing the lower rod.. increase in current = increase in attractive force towards the upper rod thereby counteracting the downward force (of gravity) acting on the scale and thus reudcing its apparent weight.. i think i had a a 2 and a 3 somewhere in my answer but i have this nagging feeling i put the decimal place in the wrong spot and wrote 0.23 m instead of 0.023m

oh and also you work out the mass by extended your line of best fit so it touches the y-axis and then by observation i think its 0.54885 or something

Wackedupwacko

HSC
mass doesnt change to work it out... just draw ur graph to touch the y axis as stated. then i think the distance is worked out by

F=mg = (formula the I1I2 which i cant be bothered to write)

this occurs when the balance reads 0kg which you can work out from the graph... mine suggested abotu 4392 A needed for it. chuck that as your I2 in ..... got about 0.2m or 0.02 cant remmeber which atm..... head spinnning

Aznduud3

HSC
YES!!! i got 0.02...m as well!!!
im assuming your smart so i must be corect too!!

i used a random x,y component from MY line of best fit, NOT the one they gave you in the table.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
I think I screwed up, I got like 2.3x10^-4 metres lol
hopefully I'll only loose 1 mark for it since i showed my work :rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)