Disease management assignment (1 Viewer)

rocka_psycho

i need help with this question! im having extreme difficulty finding information on this:s

'Discuss the changing methods of dealing with plant and animal diseases. Make reference to the shift in emphasis from [treatement and control] to [management or prevention] of disease.
In your answer u should consider:
*both positives and negative aspects to each method
*chose one plant and one animal disease that have undergone a shift from [treatement and control] to [management or prevention] and state how each method is carried out
*evaluate both positive and negative aspects to the changes in shift from [treatement and control] to [management or prevention] for each plant and each animal disease stated above.

if u could help me out in anyway(asap) it would be greately appreciated! PM me

(I removed your email, because you will get spam otherwise. Thread has also been moved to appropriate section - babydoll_)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tofu.Dull.Full

i'm doing the same assessment task, and i'm stuck as well. can any1 explain the question to me and give me same examples. i dont know wat "changes in emphasis" mean.

Also, how does quarantine used to prevent the spread of plant and animal disease into and ACROSS regions of australia.
thank u

Last edited by a moderator:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
OK, first of all, 'discuss'. Defined by the Board as "Identify issues and provide points for and/or against."

Now, the question. "changing methods of dealing with plant and animal diseases" so you should be talking about past methods. Research. I'm thinking along past measures such as insecticides (DDT) and medicine. Choose a particular disease. I'd recommend malaria, because it's pretty easy, but you're cutting it fine since the syllabus already covers malaria.

Now, notice the repetition (ew, sounds like English :p) of the phrases "from [treatement and control] to [management or prevention]". This is from the syllabus. Research treatment and control of your chosen diseases. Measures like quarantine, killing off breeding grounds for malaria, and hygiene. This is the sort of stuff they want you to cover.
tech86 said:
Also, how does quarantine used to prevent the spread of plant and animal disease into and ACROSS regions of australia.
Australia is an isolated country. America, for example, is easily affected by epidemics in Canada and Mexico as they share the same borders. Australia doesn't have this problem, because everything that enters Australia is screened by quarantine. Anything which carries infectious diseases is monitored and depending on the disease, may be prevented entry into Australia, or may be treated. This prevents from new or problem diseases from entering Australia and being spread - thus, "management and prevention."

That's a basic cover. Hope this helped, but I'm not here to do your homework for you, just to help. Any more questions?

Tofu.Dull.Full

Sorry, im still a bit stuck here is the exact question

Describle and discuss the change in emphasis in plant and animal disease control from treatment and control, to manegment or prevention of disease.

does it mean the importance of prevention is better than cure ??

Thanks

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
tech86 said:
Sorry, im still a bit stuck here is the exact question
Describle and discuss the change in emphasis in plant and animal disease control from treatment and control, to manegment or prevention of disease.

does it mean the importance of prevention is better than cure ??
Yes, prevention is better then to TREAT. It is better to avoid getting the disease, than getting it and treating it.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
as in, with malaria, it is better to minimise the population of the female anopheles mosquito, the vector, then too just quarintine(sp?) and then treat people with antibiotics when they contract malaria

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)