Discuss the experimental evidence (1 Viewer)

sicarphime

question from 2004 independent:

einstein's theory of spcial relativity made predcitons about time, length and mass measurements for objects travelling at speeds approaching the speed of light. discuss the experimental evidence for ONE of these predictions. (3marks)

the answers just had the criterias T.T

and im not really sure what they are trying to ask....

like do we just say er... as objects travel at speed approaching c, its kinetic energy used to accelerat it is converted to mass and hence mass dilates or whatever?

thank you.....

helper

HSC
N/A
Its asking you to chose one of time dilation, length contraction etc and an experiment that has shown it is true.

Eg. Time dilation and atomic clocks placed on Earth and jet going around earth and then comparing.

Subatomic particle measurements etc

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
does that mean Einsteins "thought" experiments are out of the question ><

helper

HSC
N/A
I am not sure what they were after but it could be interpreted both ways.
The reason why I would say not, is they said the theory made predictions, they were based on thought experiments.
Then they said they wanted experimental evidence to back up the predictions.

tpc13

HSC
Muons, the experiment with the two atomic clocks and the jet aircraft, things like that, yeah.

EvilDude

HSC
Could also use particle accelerators as they are faced with relativistic effects of increasing mass when they accelerate particles to near speed velocitieis. That's mass dilation. For time dilation there's muons and the atomic clocks stuff.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Atomic clocks on the plane and plane on groud showed that atomic clocks lost time while flying around earth, it is considered the evidence for time dilation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)