disctinctively visual- henry laswon shorrt stories (1 Viewer)

sarahdirani

HSC
[I need some really good related texts for each of the short stories

it would be really good help thanks :)

as i need to do an essay for it to get ready for my exams ....

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Just a quick note to say that the texts you choose don't have to relate DIRECTLY to Henry Lawson's stories. The questions for this module want you to show how distinctive (special) images are used to demonstrate particular experiences or to interest responders. So, in the stories you are studying what features of his writing help readers to visualise his ideas and characters? Some that I can think of include his vivid description of the harsh unforgiving landscape, the resilience, isolation, realism of the Australian outback characters, the use of colloquial language, Aussie humour and dramatic images.
So related texts might involve individuals who struggle to cope with difficult surroundings or about someone who works together with those around them to support each other, from different situations in any culture/time.
A few texts which are Australian and which connect to one or more of those above ideas are films like Beneath Clouds (Ivan Sen 2002), Red Dog, Woolf Creek, Rabbit Proof Fence, Australia (Lurhmann), Ned Kelly and One Night the Moon (Rachel perkins); poems such as Drought (Flexmore Hudson), Widowed (Peter Skrzynecki), The Shearer's Wife (Louis Esson) and The Women of the West (G.E.Evans) and, if you are confident analysing paintings, the art work of Russell Drysdale, Tom Roberts and Frederick McCubbin. These all have a strong personal voice and demonstrate the problems of living in the "back of beyond." Crocodile Dundee portrays the kind of humorous Australian character often referred to by Lawson.
But, once again, your links don't have to be Australian, or from Lawson's time. Anyone feeling overwhelmed in a hostile environment, or handling hardships with optimism and resilience, or travelling through boring landscapes, who describes/depicts their experiences realistically and vividly so that we can imagine his/her circumstances using colouful characters in a film, television program, poem, play or article would be an appropriate related source. All the best.

Last edited:

sarahdirani

HSC
Hey thanks so much! You help me a lot i now understand i just have to pick one of those related texts that i would be able to analyse quick and easy.. My related text was the poem 'My country' by Dorothea Mackellar as it contrasts to the theme of depicting the bush as harsh and unrelenting. Where as Mackellar depicts the bush as beautiful etc

If you have an analysis on the poem 'My country' by Dorothea Mackellar, rabit proof fence, the painting the pioneer of Frederick McCubin or any of the poems you listed it would be sooo much help as I really want to start on my essays to prepare for my trials!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)