Disappointed in English? (1 Viewer)

sophieadele

HSC
just wondering if anybody else felt let down by their english marks?
i got 70 and was disappointed because i had felt good coming out of the exam and expected higher!
it seems the english marks (for advanced anyway) are quite a bit lower than last year overall. whats going on?!

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well reading through the various HSC mark threads it seems you are not alone in that thought. However I was quite pleased with my mark which was 1 mark difference compared to my assessment mark which was quite good, so no I am not disappointed with English as I know I have achieved the best I possible can.

milton

HSC
my school rank was 100/170 and i thought i had done fairly well in the hsc

turned out to be hsc 90 and school 88...
and i just missed out on 10 units 90+ too... damn

on the bright side, no more reading 500pg boring 19century novels, no more tutoring, no more long useless essays like the art of utilising overwhelmingly verbose vernacular jargon designed to conjure a mirage of sophistication with absolutely no intelligible connotations... :)

koolangel297

HSC
I got crap too... got 75 for english, and i was expecting early 80s..

Is SAM accurate for this year? If so i'm getting an UAI of 52.15 T_T
(Since this years exams are quite hard)

Last edited:

xxflauntitxx

HSC
hey well ive actualyl seen the opposite lol....i goy 88 in trials and ended up wiyth 93 formy hsc marek s i was ecstatic lol........andi no about 5 -6 people whove gotten that too in english so im not sure...maybe my skool just did well?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I'm disappointed with my band 5 English result because I know I would have got band 6 or close to it, had I not bombed out in Paper 1, since I was sure I did very well in Paper 2 (around 50+/60 raw).:(

jesst2005

HSC
hey im not real pleased with my english either. i got 72 overall but i was expecting a bit higher. if the SAM modeller is accurate i got 67.55 but im hoping to get in the 70s would that be likely? i did:
legal- 74
cafs- 83
adv. eng- 72
society and culture- 77 (dont know what happened there coz my assessment mark submitted by school was 86!!)
pdhpe- 77
gen. maths- 79

Tim035

HSC
Quite opposite for me, I was expecting to just scrape into band 5. As it was I got an examination mark of 90 and due to assessment mark of 85 I ended up with 88 grrr

Redkoala

HSC
I got 90, but got a lot higher in trials etc, so i was execting more, but I'm still happy with it

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
i was stoked when i got my results!!

throughout the year, i was really under-performing in english ( 7/20 here. .. 7/15 there .. 15/20 was prob my highest mark i think)

well i ended up getting:
79 for exam
75 for assessment

so i got 77 overall. nothing that great, but when i was expecting <60 .. im fucking ecstatic

ane_st

HSC
I had low-ish expectations, throughout the year i worked hard, got like 80-something for my internal mark, but for the HSC i was so nervous, and i didnt think i did as well as i'd hoped, i was expecting in the 70's.. I came out with 83 :D:D:D sooo happy with that!!

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
i was estatic with my overall mark of 81 in adv.

i got an exam mark of 84 and assessment of 77.

so now i really do believe that my teacher is biased and marked unfairly as he marked me so hard that my rank was like 28/40

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
English Standard is the only exam i did as hoped.

Exam: 80
Assessment: 75
HSC: 78
School Rank: +200 (though from hearing early reports im sure we may find ourselves in the ~300 range this year)

fairly pleased with the mark, however it sucks knowing that 12 months ago you screwed up an assessment or two and lost precious rankings that youre sure you were capable of obtaining.

P

pLuvia

Quite alright with english, lower than I expected, but my assessment mark was quite a surprise with such a crappy rank :D

tellen123

HSC
i got 93 which i thought was awesome! - for me anyway, cos i was neva that strong at english. i walked outta the english exams not feeling too confident which i think is sometimes a gud sign - if u feel too sure of urself it can simply be because u havnt recognised ur mistakes or weaknesses.

i wish it was uai time already, i hate this constant waiting!

HSC
My assessment mark jumped like 20 marks :rofl: and it seems my HSC mark came to 81. I'm pleasantly surprised.

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
similar to a few other people here, throughout the year i was probably averaging high 70's low 80's in eng adv....so when i saw my results i was astounded

when i saw 91 for assessment 91 for exam so overall 91 i didnt know what to think.
I don't know how it can jump a whole 10 points.

anyway. congrats and comiserations to all.
it's not the end of the world. This time of HSC mayhem will pass and everyone will get on with more important things!

Last edited:

Bookie

Banned
HSC
I GOT 86!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I havent read more than the first scene of King Lear.

That can tell you two things;

1 - im really awesome

or

2 - the state is really stupid.

WINNAR.

cbarrett

HSC
i got 79 for my exam mark, 81 for assessment, 80 overall. I was surprised by my assessment mark, when i averaged it myself it came out as 93, but oh well..

sly_skittle

HSC
I was disappointed too!
I knew that I had gone pretty bad in the modules (had really bad electives) but I was sure that I'd done well in the AOS.
Looking at the scaling of english over the past couple of years I must have completely stuffed the modules getting about 11/20 as opposed to my usual 16-18/20. (Total loss of about 15 marks!!:()
I ended up getting 82 but if it scaled like some past years that could be equivalent to a mark as low as 70/105- so I'm really disappointed- It will drag my UAI down by about 2 points.
I just hope that the average is down so that UAC scales the marks extremely high- doubt it but still I hold out hope until 9am tomorrow ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)