Disadvantage going to UWS? or not? (1 Viewer)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
natstar said:
It's the same when USYD'ers respond with pretencious, nose in the air remarks that rubs off on their uni. No wonder people perceive USYD to be full of snobby and rude people, and I for one would rather shoot myself than associate with that these kind of people. For it's really only the USYD students who come up with these comments anyway, especially Damage Inc. who's comments are so blatently stupid and immature its not funny. Of course people are going to choose law at other uni's if they dont get the marks? Not everyone gets a UAI of 99+ which is pretty much required to do law at those uni's.
Damage Inc. is a troll. He's baiting you, and you repeatedly fall for it. Most people who come in here and make comments like this do it because they know they'll get a rise out of you and other UWSers. And it WORKS, time and time again.

Seriously people just get off your high horse. Just becuase you go to a certain uni, your not better than anyone else. Just get over it.

Why dont you generalise about other uni's? Why just UWS. Why not UOW, UNCLE, UNE, SC, La trobe, CSU? To me, when I think of places like Wollongong, Newcastle, Armidale, Bathurst etc, I think of them as holes, even though I am moving to Newcastle next year. Some people say that they shouldent be compared to Sydney uni's becuase they are not in Sydney, but where do most people come for jobs? Sydney. Having said that, I am going to Newcastle so I'm not going to be in competition with people from Sydney as much, so again, I dont care.
It's incredibly hypocritical that you make sweeping generalisations about the "pretentious", "snobby" nature of Usyders but continue to get defensive when generalisations are made about UWS. You have no more right to insult them than they do you.

I really dont want to justify myself to you people anymore. So just get on with your own lives, get yourself a job and stop caring about strangers whom you never will meet. You clearly go to a better uni than us, which I am certainly not denying, so stop reminding us with your snobby and pretencious attitudes and get the hell over it. Kthaxbai
Natstar, again and again you dive into these debates and get riled up by people who get a kick out of baiting you. I think you're doing more harm to UWS's reputation by getting overly defensive. Just ignore them.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
brogan77 said:
And to the UWS students, if you are so confident and assured of UWS's standing in the tertiary education system, why do you always feel the need to defend it like rabid dogs against the most childish and obviously inflammatory barbs?
Quoted as brogan speaks the truth.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
we are only explaining the opposite of what he said so people are not misinformed. and for your question, why not??

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
For Natstar...
Lundy said:
It's incredibly hypocritical that you make sweeping generalisations about the "pretentious", "snobby" nature of Usyders but continue to get defensive when generalisations are made about UWS. You have no more right to insult them than they do you.
For Natstar...

lundy said:
Natstar, again and again you dive into these debates and get riled up by people who get a kick out of baiting you. I think you're doing more harm to UWS's reputation by getting overly defensive. Just ignore them.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
natstar said:
I really dont want to justify myself to you people anymore. So just get on with your own lives, get yourself a job and stop caring about strangers whom you never will meet. You clearly go to a better uni than us, which I am certainly not denying, so stop reminding us with your snobby and pretencious attitudes and get the hell over it. Kthaxbai
They don't care. They just enjoy getting a rise out of you and you give them what they want every time without fail. Do you think that sounds exceedingly stupid?

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
To me, when I think of places like Wollongong, Newcastle, Armidale, Bathurst etc, I think of them as holes
This is interesting...
For quite a while I've thought that the people that are oh so defensive of their university when they're at a less reputable one are the same sort of people that would look down upon such unis if they were at a more reputable one.... statements such as these kinda confirm it.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
well going to a university and completing a degree does mean u've accomplished something no matter where u attended it...

as for being disadvantaged, i don't think its too much of a big deal, however there are employers (in my cadetship interviews and also through my work experience atm) that do have a preference where their candidates come from, and uws isnt exactly up the top because of the stereotype due to lower cutoffs and the fact that it's much newer and less established (dont argue with me, the uws bashing is evidence of this)

having said that though, if u work hard (no matter what uni) you'll be able to get a job

i met a guy who attended tafe and is now working at deloitte alongside a usyd com/law graduate... evidence u dont need to go to a pro uni =]

tennille

HSC
chocolate_chip said:
I always want the best, so I would never in my life to go UWS, its got a pretty bad rep and people think of you less if you tell them you go there. But that is the way I think, and if you guys are satisfied going there that’s ok too. Everyone is different and also UWS may have degrees that other unis don’t.

In the end everyone will get a job no matter what uni you go to. All you need is really good grades and work experience, and sometimes connections.

But if you go to Havard, when you apply for a high position, you will easily get chosen over other people who wen to a uni from here. I know this for a fact because my brother graduated from there, he did an MBA and now earns shit loads.

But I will say this - commerce and business at UWS is shit, the courses are too easy compared to other unis who’s courses challenge you more. Many people I know have transferred from there into other unis and have said the same thing.

Clearly you are insecure to care about what others think of you.

I think the main reason why UWS has a “bad reputation” is due to the fact that it’s located in the western suburbs. If the same uni was located in the city, I doubt there would be as much "bagging out" of the uni.

L

LaraB

erawamai said:
I doubt that. A BA from usyd is highly regarded and can open up a number of areas of employment which include journalism. In any case a BA is often a degree not taken on by people aiming definitivly at a vocation at the time.

As for all this UWS stuff havn't we seen this before? I mean LaraB hardly does anything to alter the common perception of UWS by rebutting Airness's reasoned response like she has a year six education - complete with profanity!

All this 'prestige' is about percetion and image. The way that some UWSers respond to immature barbs and trolling by other people from other universities plays directly into their hands and reflects poorly on UWS. The worse thing is that people will continue to gently troll and certain UWS will continue to swallow the bait and go on poorly structured rants that make them and their their university look bad.
if we were all such poor reps for the uni, why do we get pm's and emails from other propsective/current students who say the complete opposite?...

we wouldn't need to repeat the reasons why uws will not kill your prospective career over and over again if morons didn't come in here with the usual "you will never get a job if you to uws" crap.

i'm sure i'm not the only one who has noticed that pretty much the ONLY time you are in this forum is in threads questioning the quality of uws as a uni, to criticise those who do not agree that UWS is a useless uni... add that to the fact that you fail to criticise anyone of the opposing view to myself and other uws students... why should anyone listen to you over any other post in here...

and since you only pay attention to threads questioning the quality of the uni - you fail to notice that i'm not some moron who thinks uws is the best for everything... i clearly! have advised others, when asked, to not go to uws for certain courses or if they aspire to certain careers... so stop coming in here just to have a bitch because we provide opposing informed experience based views about our uni...

and those who bagged Natstar's post - have a read and you'll notice she did not! say that Usyd students are snobs - she says she hate those of the usyd students who are snobs and that she wouldn't want to associate with them and they are the reason why some view the uni as snobby..

ie she said - some are snobs which is why people think they're all snobs.. clearly different to "all usyd students are pretentious snobs"

there is no point in chucking a mental at people for crap they haven't even said!

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LaraB

Not-That-Bright said:
This is interesting...
For quite a while I've thought that the people that are oh so defensive of their university when they're at a less reputable one are the same sort of people that would look down upon such unis if they were at a more reputable one.... statements such as these kinda confirm it.
and isn't newcastle one of the biggest cities in nsw? i would think that would make it far from a hole...

i can see where the perception of armidale ie UNE as a hole comes from though coz having been there quite a few times - there isn't exactly a huge social life for people our age... but it's far from a hole... really nice place actually as is the uni

stazi

Nightman
HSC
being a big city doesn't necessarily stop it from being a hole.

L

LaraB

stazi said:
being a big city doesn't necessarily stop it from being a hole.
yes, but the inference in most of these statements in this kind of context is it's in the middle of nowhere and/or there is nothing to do there which in the case of newcastle, neither is true...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
actually, in the case of newcastle there is very little to do.

L

LaraB

stazi said:
actually, in the case of newcastle there is very little to do.
meh.. you're clearly into very different things than my friends n relos who go to newcastle uni then coz they moved from Sydney, Wollongong and Melb. to go there and they always seem to have plenty to do...

L

LaraB

wheredanton said:
You really think employees are going to say to a new graduate from uws that 'omg you went to uws you mst be shit!'

1. I don't need to criticise the people who. It's pretty clear that those who are criticise without any basis whatsoever and it's also pretty clear that they are only doing it to get another post from you that sounds like you are so damn mortified that you go on a rant and start answering accusations and arguments that were never made.

2. I havn't knocked UWS in any of the threads. I just find it funny when UWS's complain about unfair generalisations about their uni and then go and lable everyone that says uws isn't the greatest uni as a snob. I comment on how sad it is that you and others continue to take barbs by trolls who are clearly not serious, who are clearly not serious,

But you jump down anyones throat if they say anything negative about UWS. It's extreme and sad.
meh - you obviously haven't even read my post since you are arguing with me about what i said about another poster - which is obvious since i quoted them, not you!

i do not criticise everyone who bags uws... i criticise those who make stupid claims like "you'll never get a job"... nothing i have said was pulled out of nowhere.... nor do you know who is and who isn't "serious" in their comments

i am well aware and acknowledge there are areas that you should not go to uws for but that is so for every uni... but the reverse also happens... maybe if you read some of my posts you'd notice that rather than gettin defensive about one post that wasn't even directed at you to begin with

since you all are too preoccupied with having a bitch at anyone who praises anything about UWS - i will spell it out for you plain and simple and then you can shut up and stop whinging..

I DO NOT THINK UWS IS THE BEST UNI FOR EVERY THING IN THE WORLD! I DO NOT THINK THAT ANY UNI IS THE BEST UNI BECAUSE YOU CANNOT COMPARE COURSES OR STUDENTS BASED ON UNI ALONE!

uws, apart from parra, has a shit location, there is shit government funding, uai cut offs are not as high, some courses are renowned for being no where near as good at uws, admin is lazy, i.t. is lazy and combined degrees are a bitch if you have to go to 2 campuses, prestige may be good in some employer's eyes so uws isn't good if you wanna work in some backward "old-boys" type firm, we don't have a gym/pool at every campus

BIG SHIT! it does not mean the uni is a bad uni. all unis have good and bad points. there are firms who won't want to hire grads from every uni! it is not a problem that prestige unis are immune from.. it happens to all graduates but IT DOESN'T MATTER! because that is NOT what determines if you get a job or not. nor does funding determine teaching quality as teachers rates are rarely different from uni to another... nor do facilities determine success...

Last edited by a moderator:

j_davo24

HSC
brogan77 said:
why do you always feel the need to defend it like rabid dogs against the most childish and obviously inflammatory barbs?
Probably the same reason you feel the need to troll...

Ranoa

HSC
Everyone's so passionate, it makes me laugh.

Last edited:

d_elmo

HSC
for those non-UWSers in here (ie Damage Inc.) maybe its about time u got yourself out of this forum and found something more productive to do than to make fact-free, opinion based, irrelevant (and unwanted) comments...

jubs_

HSC
I know everyone has their own biases as melsc said before, which could explain the different clashes of opinion. However, it would be ignorant to not except the bad and good opinions, given that they encompass reasonable logic. Someone said UWS is shit compared to other unis. Some people disagree with this statement. It is sad that these biases can be perpetuated by people whose prejudices were probably ingrained in them by former highschool grads and such. The fact is, UWS is a young university which leaves it a lot of time to grow and progress. Sure it may not be state of the art or harbour the top echelons of higschool academia but it's social science courses are renowned and it's done great for an institution that has been so excessively scoffed at by people who think their future's SO bright because they associate with a prestigious uni that is really not any part of your doing. Keep thinking that everyone at UWS are dropkicks or whatever, but find your own worth, don't scrape at the prestige of the forefathers who worked blood and sweat to earn it. University prestige only takes you too far. It means shit if you don't have the wit and savvy minded initiative to execute your goals in the real world.

And gimme a friggin break.. the arts course? Regardless of uni, the arts course is so broad it is practically useless without another degree. yeah.. one of my biases. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)