Dilemma! Which course to choose (1 Viewer)

yma

HSC
Okay, so my ATAR result is 92.15 ( kind of expected).

1) I have already got an offer from Sydney university's E12 program and I have secured a place in the commerce single degree.

2) however, the degree I really want to do is something that has both commerce and arts. I really like USYD so B commerce (literal studies) is ideal for me. BUT, the cutoff for this degree last year was 98. My atars 92.15. I have applied for EAS and they say the bonus points will not exceed 5. That means my maximum mark will be no more than 97.15. Do you guise think that this years cutoff for literal studies commerce will be lower? Is my chance getting into this course big?

3) there is another course in USYD called commerce/arts. But it takes 5 YEARS! I would definitely choose that if it only takes 4 years like unsw. The ATAR cutoff at USYD was only 95 and the one at unsw was 96.3. I got band 6 in both of my 2u and 3u Maths so I have gained 4 bonus points with unsw's bonus points program. With my additional EAS bonus points, I think my chance of getting into the course is pretty big. But I don't really like unsw.

What should I do??????? Soooo frustrated

Also, when I accept an offer for bachelor of commerce from USYD in the January first round, will I still be considered for other courses at USYD in the main round afterwards?

Sorry for the long complicated post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yma

HSC
What are the good options for living on campus except colleges? A lot of self catered house are balso sold out

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
there is another course in USYD called commerce/arts. But it takes 5 YEARS!
What's wrong with that? If anything, that's an advantage that doing Commerce/Arts at USYD would hold over UNSW.

photastic

HSC
The atar cutoff for Liberal studies every year has continued to increase which I will also predict it will be greater than >98 but who knows, the law cut off has reduced so maybe it might diverge the demand for commerce towards law. Otherwise, if it stays as 98, no chance. In terms with unsw, if you don't like it, can't stop you buy anyways you already have security with e12 so your choice.

yma

HSC
What's wrong with that? If anything, that's an advantage that doing Commerce/Arts at USYD would hold over UNSW.
I don't want to be wasting money to pay for one more years school fee. That is just too long. With that extra year of studying, the chance of getting a better job isn't higher.

yma

HSC
The atar cutoff for Liberal studies every year has continued to increase which I will also predict it will be greater than >98 but who knows, the law cut off has reduced so maybe it might diverge the demand for commerce towards law. Otherwise, if it stays as 98, no chance. In terms with unsw, if you don't like it, can't stop you buy anyways you already have security with e12 so your choice.
I don't know...wish me good luck[emoji256][emoji256][emoji256]

bookwormtiff

HSC
I've checked the USyd website and it seems as if they've finalized the ATAR cutoffs for each course - what's listed are the "2015 ATAR" requirements, and the info on-site is for future students. (If you're talking about Commerce (Liberal (?) Studies), the cutoff is still 98.)

Don't hold me on this, but good luck! :>

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Okay, so my ATAR result is 92.15 ( kind of expected).

1) I have already got an offer from Sydney university's E12 program and I have secured a place in the commerce single degree.

2) however, the degree I really want to do is something that has both commerce and arts. I really like USYD so B commerce (literal studies) is ideal for me. BUT, the cutoff for this degree last year was 98. My atars 92.15. I have applied for EAS and they say the bonus points will not exceed 5. That means my maximum mark will be no more than 97.15. Do you guise think that this years cutoff for literal studies commerce will be lower? Is my chance getting into this course big?

3) there is another course in USYD called commerce/arts. But it takes 5 YEARS! I would definitely choose that if it only takes 4 years like unsw. The ATAR cutoff at USYD was only 95 and the one at unsw was 96.3. I got band 6 in both of my 2u and 3u Maths so I have gained 4 bonus points with unsw's bonus points program. With my additional EAS bonus points, I think my chance of getting into the course is pretty big. But I don't really like unsw.

What should I do??????? Soooo frustrated

Also, when I accept an offer for bachelor of commerce from USYD in the January first round, will I still be considered for other courses at USYD in the main round afterwards?

Sorry for the long complicated post

You have a really easy decision. Enroll into Bachelor of Commerce/Arts at university of sydney. You do the exact same units - everything is fine - after your 1st year, transfer into Commerce (Liberal studies) which I imagine will require a mid 70s wam. This is quite a common thing to do and you will be exactly where you wanted to be and your progression will not be affected either as far as I know.

Last edited:

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I don't want to be wasting money to pay for one more years school fee. That is just too long. With that extra year of studying, the chance of getting a better job isn't higher.
You might have a better chance of getting a job, or you might not. Depends on the circumstances.

But university is not about getting a job. It is about learning. That extra year of study would allow you to cover much more content and have a deeper appreciation of the academic disciplines you intend to pursue. It is certainly not a waste of money.

Do what you wish, but I think you are wasting a good opportunity.

--------------------------

As for the Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies), it does get a lot of hype, which is probably why the ATAR cut off is so high. But really, all it is is a watered down Commerce degree with a few mandated science and arts units. It takes some compulsory units out, crams it into four years, and passes it off as flexibility. There is nothing that you can do in a Liberal Studies program that you can't do in a Commerce/Arts or Commerce/Science program. And in the end, the latter programs actually offer more flexibility for you to study what you want, while at the same time keeping some of the compulsory restrictions of the Commerce and Arts/Science degrees which ensure you receive a well rounded education.

Last edited:

yma

HSC
You have a really easy decision. Enroll into Bachelor of Commerce/Arts at university of sydney. You do the exact same units - everything is fine - after your 1st year, transfer into Commerce (Liberal studies) which I imagine will require a mid 70s wam. This is quite a common thing to do and you will be exactly where you wanted to be and your progression will not be affected either as far as I know.
You're brilliant! I love you!!! Is mid 70s wam easy to get?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Whats WAM and whats so good about Liberal Studies?
WAM stands for Weighted Average Mark. It's just the average of all your marks from each unit.

And yeah, not a lot. Like I said, you're better off doing a combined degree.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
You're brilliant! I love you!!! Is mid 70s wam easy to get?

Relatively easy in some cases, yes but it is dependent on how well you do because a simple pass or credit in one or two units can bring your WAM down slightly. Plus there may be other criterion a WAM is calculated on but I am not too sure ~ all I know is that it was quite easy to get the marks I wanted (if I invested my energy into it). All the best ~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)