Digital Cameras (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Hey dudes + few gals that come here :D I'm looking for a digital camera. Nothing fancy like those $700 ones.

I only need an ordinary digital camera of reasonable resolution.

2Megapixels will suffice perfectly.

What is the best place to buy them cheap? - don't say ebay haha :p

I'm looking in the $200-$300 range.

Huy

HSC
N/A
I bought mine from Harvey Norman, but if I had to re-purchase my camera, I would buy it from Ebay (sorry, I know you didn't want to hear this).

They offer competitive pricing, compared to retail prices (RRP), and it is very cheap.

I did, however, bargain with the store and I purchased my camera during a stocktake sale, which further reduced the pricing.

I recommend Kodak :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The thing is...I don't trust ebay :p

How big would 2 megapixels be in resolution?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
How big would 2 megapixels be in resolution?
Well, I have a 3.1MP

But I can give you some idea:

Some of the pictures I've taken are:

1080*720
2048*1536
2160*1440

on my Kodak DX4330,

You can't set the resolution itself (which is a shame), but it is 'simple' to use:

3 quality settings:

* Best
* Better
* Good

Change the level, add/subtract the number of pictures that you're able to store (of course).

Sony and Olympus cameras have resolution-settings and quality settings which are more complicated and in-depth, but I prefer the ease of Kodak, point and shoot :)

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
I have a 4MP (Canon Powershot S45), and take most photos at 1600*1200 at the moment (because my CF card is too small...). From the ones i have had developed, this is still awesome quality for your normal photo sized printouts.

1024*768 = .75MP
1152*864 = 1MP
1600*1200 = 1.92MP
or
2272*1704 = 3.9 MP

If you don't need optical zoom, then the Canon A300 looks pretty cool. It's tiny, takes 640*480 video also, and is 3MP. You can get it at BigW and places like that for about 300/400? (i'm not sure of the price) bucks i think.

However- even when buying a cheap camera - i would still buy a cheap brand name camera - such as a Canon/Kodak, rather than some no-name thing.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I'd be careful of Canon - I've had problems with mine (an older Ixus) and a friend has sent his powershot s45 back twice. But they also have a reputation for good cameras so *meh*.

2MP will probably give you a max res of 1600x1200 or so? it's more than enough if you're not planning to print your photos out. other things to consider are size, whether you want it with a docking station (like the kodaks) or a usb cable, how easy it is to turn on and just snap away, how fragile it is etc..

I'd suggest going to any camera shop and TRYING the cameras to make sure it's comfortable in your hands, then buy from one of the respectable cheap online outlets (dirtcheapcameras.com.au is one that comes to mind).

Azn fairies

if u really want a good digtail camera- but want to spend $300. i suggest u get it from china or soemthing (asain)..if u have any contact..

i got mine for only $450 (my cousin got it for me:p) but it was worth $1200..sony !

Fosweb

HSC
anti: My S45 is Great!! I have friends with Canons that still go fine too. My Canon experience is still all good, but there are obviously people who havent had good canons then...

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Yeah, it's something to do with their LCDs though - I can't remember exactly (and don't really care, hehe). Canon's one of the more respectable digicam brands.. but you pay for that, anyway.

fatmuscle

HSC
phoebe, ur just... cameras don't like you.

Canon IXUS 400!!!

actually I have a Pentax 430RS
works fine for me!

only thing is, no audio!!!!!!!!!!

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
gah
buy a video camera for video, silly

optical zooooooooooom... but if we're buying ragerunner a cheap camera, you mightn't want to spend th extra $$.

i have a clunky old nikon coolpix... it was good for it's time, and is still ok now i suppose... 3.1 mp, but i want to get a newer, smaller, more battery-efficient, higher-resolution one for uni work.

*sigh*

Theodosius

HSC
I have a Canon Powershot A60 (2MP). I paid $489 a few months ago. 3x optical zoom. For a good review of cheaper digital cameras, go to http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20030709/index.html
My A60 prints fine at anything under A4 at the top quality. My tip to save money is to buy the camera somewhere reputable, then buy the flash memory for it on eBay. Different types of memory cost different amounts- Compactflash is the cheapest, I got 128mb of superfast (40x) memory for $60. 2100 mAh rechargeable batteries last forever on my camera because it takes 4 of them.

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
For good quality images...

4x6" prints (2 megapixel minimum resolution)
8x10" prints (3 megapixel minimum)
11x14" (5 megapixel minimum)
16x20" (6 megapixel minimum)

As for computer resolution... 1 inch is 72 pixels... so...

4x6 = 288 x 432

etc.

As far as I know though, a 2megapixel camera can output up to 1024x768 at a high quality. The above information is just for if you want to print it at photo quality.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Having an sd slot as a part of your pc can really help with the transfer of photos.

Fosweb

HSC
Originally posted by Protector
As far as I know though, a 2megapixel camera can output up to 1024x768 at a high quality. The above information is just for if you want to print it at photo quality.
1200x1600 = 1920000
So 1.92 MP = 1200x1600

This is plenty for your standard photo sized printout.
Quality is not dependant on the number of megapixels by the way... You should test the camera if what you are picky about is the 'quality' of the image. (Or go to somewhere like Paxtons where they lay out samples taken with each camera on a table... )

Last edited:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by fatmuscle
phoebe, ur just... cameras don't like you.

Canon IXUS 400!!!

actually I have a Pentax 430RS
works fine for me!

only thing is, no audio!!!!!!!!!!

I DIDN'T BREAK IT!!!!!!!! my sister tried to take a photo of her friends, i think... ahhaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)