DIFFUCLTY OF 4U maths... (1 Viewer)

aditya

HSC
i asked my teacher if its difficult to get 60% he said no its kinda easy.... (withsome work ofcourse)... but 60isnt so usefull... i was wondering how hard is it get 70+??? like 80? would that be REALLY hard?

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Getting 60 isnt that bad as it gets scaled ^^^^^^^^^

Affinity

HSC
The difficulty to attain a mark increases exponentially,

60 raw is quite decent...

Giant Lobster

HSC
exponentially indeed, seeing as how every question is worth the same, and question 6-8 are infinitely harder than questions before that :)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
hi addii its ryan from fort :p

60% isn too bad... the work u put in is a lot.. but well worth it :)

Last edited:

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
60 raw would (should i think) get you into band 6.

In other words, get the first four questions out error free, and your in band 6.

ofcourse, thats easier said than done. :)

Affinity

HSC
I don't think 60 raw = E4.. maybe 7x+

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Check out the scaling bell curve

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yeah but that bell curve is misleading, since it is based on % of people. Since the people who do maths ext 2 normally are of a higher quality, if it was based on numbers it would be more accurate.

aditya

HSC
see i know all bout scaling and everything... i just wanted to know how hard it was to get into the seventies.... if i dunt get into the seventies doing 4u maths is of no advantage to me??

so yeh...

aditya

HSC
the reason their raising the bar is cuz the aussies are having a cry that the chinese are going too well just cuz of their maths...

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
the reason their raising the bar is cuz the aussies are having a cry that the chinese are going too well just cuz of their maths...
generalisation there...

but still.. yeh i think it is true many asians hsc marks are saved by their maths marks :p

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
my bad. sorry

although I still don't see why/how stuff like Buchanan's site will raise the bar. hrm

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Also, Grey Council, there were more than 5 people at Sydney Grammar who read Parabola when I was there, and there are many more around the state. In fact, in my 4u HSC, there was a part of question 7 that was a simple variation on a problem I had done in one of the Maths Groups we had.

PS: Bill Pender's books aren't just the Coroneos books rehashed - That isn't Dr Pender's style.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
really? As far as I know, no one at my school (SBHS) reads the Parabola magazine, thats pretty much why I made the generalisation.

Sorry, my bad again. Its just that, my teacher told me not to bother using the 3u coroneos, as the cambridge is pretty much an updated coroneos.

I apologise. Dunno what came over me, don't usually pick fights on forums. hmph

PS have you even been to the first grade soccer/rugby matches between your school and mine? whoosht, such fierce competetion. We beat your school last year though (1st grade soccer) :p ;)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Grey Council, I agree with your teacher - I wouldn't bother with Coroneos for the most part, as its theory is awful (explanations clear as mud, IMO) and there are plenty of good questions in Cambridge - in that sense Cambridge is a good replacement for Coroneos, but I don't think of it as just an updated version. Also, Coroneos can ask questions in obscure ways at times. However, Coroneos does have some difficult questions if you're looking for a challenge. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear - I wasn't trying to have a go at you. I guess I should try to avoid posting in the middle of the night when I'm tired!

As for Parabola and the benefitsd of competition practice and Maths group, etc., I really think this helps. It is especially useful in practicing looking for other approaches to questions - For example, consider conics. There is almost always the 2 - 3 page obvious way of doing the problem, but recognising the half page way can let you pick up alot of time!

As for SGS / SBHS soccer / rugby matches, I was never much of a sportsman at school, so I went to very few games. However, when I was at school, I do remember that we routinely lost at most sports! (I don't know whether you saw it, but a couple of years ago there was a list published in the SMH of the league table of rugby for the GPS schools, and the HSC results league table. With one exception, the list was reversed!)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hah :)
*steers the conversation back to the topic*

In Geff Geha's book, 50 tips for 4u maths, he has a whole analysis of this topic. According to him, in the easiest exam from 88-98, the average mark was 68ish. In the hardest exam, the average mark was 47ish.

So yeah, i'd say that 70+ RAW MARK (within the exam, our of 120) should get you into band 6 (as long as you have the appropriate assessment mark ofcourse).

aditya

HSC
hell yes it will.. but how hard is it to get that 70... lol... saying that i have above avg, not way up there - abiilty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)