Difficulty with figuring out music (1 Viewer)

GRX40
HSC
N/A
It often seems that the little inspiration that strikes me does so at the wrong times. While showering or on the train, for example, I might suddenly think of a relatively good guitar solo or melody, but as a brain-to-MIDI converter has not yet been invented, the best way would probably be to sing what the mind hears.

However, I find this quite difficult - is that normal? Apparently I have talent for music, but my worst section is the aural. In AMEB exam exercise, I can usually hear the lower part (and apparently I'm better at that than the higher part!) but I just as often have difficulty singing it. I can tell when notes are out of tune, but I'm not particularly good at intervals. However, it's said that aural can be learnt, and I know that I'm slowly but surely improving.

Is this difficulty due to a lack of training? My theory is of a low grade, too, but it's because of a lack of time. I'm actually quite "advanced" in the common sense areas (okay, that sounds strange and mystical), or else defeated the 8th grade-AMus-grade 5 theory students in my class through chance.

What I'm worried about is that my inability to sing what I hear in my mind is inherent. Is it due to a lack of aural training (I hardly ever sing, and I'm not particularly good, but I am quite proficient in the other areas), or am I officially screwed? If I continue with theory, aural, etc. training, will I eventually be able to do what I can't now?

Thank you in advance!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I think it has to do with your formal training. I had that as well, but it was because of my fogginess with intervals. I use to be exactly like you, but nowadays I can hear and interval and know exactly what it is. You need true clarification of what you're hearing, so maybe yes, practice intervals, and you will have a clearer understanding of anything - such as melodies you come up with your head, or the radio etc.

I think you'll eventually be able to do it

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)