Difficulty of 4u maths (1 Viewer)

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
i was just wondering if ext 2 maths is on par with the highest level high school maths in other countries.

Last edited:

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Yup, im quite sure it is. Go to OLDMAN's thread bout tution, and go and visit his website. In there he has an analysis of the hardest maths text in the world. anyway, just read it, you'll see that this most prestigious of maths competitions can sometimes be no more difficult than a question 8 4u maths paper. :) THats what he says anyway. lol

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i don't know... a guy in our school came from china and he said the year 10 math there had most of the 4u stuff and some other extra stuff thats not in the 4u course like vector calculus.

but i think countries like japan has a even better system...

i heard like some psychologists in the US say that asian countries are teaching the math too hard and is damaging the intellectual development of them kids... like they can get psychological damage if children was expose to negative integers before year 4 or something. LOL

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
LOL! psychological damage if exposed to negative integers before year 4. rofl

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!

i heard like some psychologists in the US say that asian countries are teaching the math too hard and is damaging the intellectual development of them kids... like they can get psychological damage if children was expose to negative integers before year 4 or something. LOL
That reminds me, does anyone think that getting pushed into doing difficult maths at an early age will disadvantage you later on? Because some of the people i know who did year 7 maths (i know, very hard :p) while still in primary or started getting tutoring at year 7 dont do too flash in the later years.

^___^
HSC
haha

i finished algebra in yr3

they learnt algebra in yr8 here???

so yea, when i came over to Aus, i was surprised they were learning sums and stuff

:\

and its not that bad..only 3hrs of maths each night :p

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i came to australia at year 2 and never studied math at all in australia, never did homeworks, never did classwork... until when year11 started. so its kinda strange... i still don't do any work from school but i study now LOL.

i think the earlier you get exposed to the stuff the easier it will be for you to grasp it. its like any sport... some people say letting kids play sport at an early age may damage their bones and stuff...

not really sure of the actual findings of the studies... but one thing is for sure asians are good at math... so that says something about the education there... and the difference over here. :)

Originally posted by drbuchanan
I think mathematicians get pshchological damage when they are exposed to psychologists!
hahaha... you psycho... :D

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
well, in china, they learn a few topics in depth, while not goin into a wide range of topics... for eg, calculus is a uni math course in china... but they go into real detail in the topics they do touch on, say algebra, geometry etc etc...

abdooooo!!!

Banned
calculus is uni course? i think they changed it now.... or else the dude at my school wouldn't be doing vector calculus. LOL

i remember him saying that his teacher said it was really hard uni stuff before...

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by Heinz
That reminds me, does anyone think that getting pushed into doing difficult maths at an early age will disadvantage you later on? Because some of the people i know who did year 7 maths (i know, very hard :p) while still in primary or started getting tutoring at year 7 dont do too flash in the later years.
I finished the year 7 textbook (one that my mum picked up from a cheap sale) in year 4. I don't think I'm damaged. Yet.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
mm, we did most of the year 7 and 8 maths course in year 5 and 6. But I was in an OC.

Why would people be disadvantaged by developing mathematical skills early on? hmmm

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Originally posted by Grey Council

Why would people be disadvantaged by developing mathematical skills early on? hmmm
I dont know, its just found that to be the case from personal experience. For example when i was in year 7, we had this guy who was really good at maths but now that im in year 12, the same guy is struggling with 3u maths. Similarly, this other student who topped maths while i was in year 8 doesnt even do 4u maths, says 3u is hard enough as it is. Maybe theyre just exceptions?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
like they can get psychological damage if children was expose to negative integers before year 4 or something. LOL
Dam I was exposed to them in year 1, *runs off crying.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
phycological damage maybe, but in terms of math you should be way ahead of the competition. them people might just be try hard dudes in year7 where no one cared... but now everyone studies they lost their try hardness LOL.

Originally posted by KeypadSDM
I finished the year 7 textbook (one that my mum picked up from a cheap sale) in year 4. I don't think I'm damaged. Yet.
does it contain negative integers?

your mum is evil... cheap sale lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)