difficulties associated with reliable communications b/w Satellites + Earth (1 Viewer)

unfold

HSC
Hey people,
i hope u can help me out here, thanks in advance.
this is a question out of HSC 2002.

Worth 4 marks:
Describe 2 difficulties associated with effective or reliable communications between satellites and Earth.

mattchan

HSC
-low earth satellites have a short period, so harder to track and communicate with since they are moving all the time. They are also prone to orbital decay and atmospheric drag.
-Geo satellites have half a second delay during transmission

Ghost1788

HSC
exa_boi87 said:
does sunspot activity play a role here aswell?
yea it does

- also atmospheric interference...
- distance and therefore time ( it takes 12 hrs for a transmission for the voyagers to reach earth)

- possibly the van allen belts..through which geo stationary satelittes pass through the lower van allen belts

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
So basically when there is sun spot activity there are more solar flares resulting in increasing magnetic fields in space which can affect the radio waves sent by the satellite?

U reckon that's enough for 2 marks (u can talk about the delay for the other 2 marks).

helper

HSC
N/A
Once again this is a dot point removed in the 2002 review.

Haku

well because of the Van Allen Belt where charged particles from solarwind get trapped by the Bfield of earth. So commication between earth and satellite is made difficult.

sunspot increase the amout of solarwind.

i think another reason for difficulty in communication is because of geostationary satellite where only a specific part of earth is able to communicate with it, and need to rebound to get info from other parts...so that cause distance and interference if no line of sight is available.

samuel.b

Samy-b
HSC
heyyyy everyone...sorry i was just curious...one of use had mentioned that the old physics book had something to do with how sunspot activity effects the earths power grid and communications...unfortunately my teacher i think is working with the old syllabus..and i got nothing on it in the new boook...if possible...would any of u please be able to tell me its effect very briefly so that i can write something significant on it?..thanks appreciate it :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Depending on the wavelength of the radiation, microwaves for example need a direct line of sight in order to achieve minimal interference.

Also, some layers in the atmosphere tend to reflect certain frequencies of radio waves.

Thats what I know so far :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)