Difficult Simultaneous Equation (1 Viewer)

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A
Hi

How do you solve this equations analyticaly without solving a 4th degree polynomial
sqrt(x)+y=11; x+sqrt(y)=7

Thanks for the help!

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
You could try and do it old school, by squaring everything rearange, make x subject sub into equation 2, etc. Might take a while.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
You do what I would call enlightened trial and error:

(1) Sketch both graphs on the same number plane to confirm that there is only one solution. (Also gives you some limitation on the size of x and y.)

(2) Realize that the RHS of both equations is a whole number, which implies that x and y are both perfect squares.

(3) Try possible combinations of x and y until you get the one that works. From part (1), we know that the one that work is the only solution.

Last edited:

cyl123

HSC
You do what I would call enlightened trial and error:

(1) Sketch both graphs on the same number plane to confirm that there is only one solution. (Also gives you some limitation on the size of x and y.)

(2) Realize that the RHS of both equations is a whole number, which implies that x and y are both perfect squares.

(3) Try possible combinations of x and y until you get the one that works. From part (1), we know that the one that work is the only solution.
+1... (2) describes the mindset I had when I was finding real solutions. The fact there are perfect squares mean that x and y should be relatively small square numbers less that 11... hence 9 and 4.

Although complex solutions for x and y may exist....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)