different uais for law? (1 Viewer)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
what are the chances the law courses will have different UAIs? as in, B comm/B laws will have one uai while B eco/B laws or B finance/B laws having a separate UAI?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
None.

For combined courses the UAI of the higher of the two courses is used as the entry UAI because in general law will be the higher of the two all combined law courses have the same UAI as law. Any that didn't (maybe acturial law??) would have a higher not lower UAI.

Sorry to douse hopes. I suggest investigating EAS as there are 5 bonus points in it....

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
so what happens when there are "empty spots" for certain courses after the main round offers?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
They are offered in the late round, to people who have changed their prefs, and the UAI for late round offers almost always goes UP.

The idea of a UAI cutoff though is that that was the lowest UAI that got into the course; ie the person that filled the last place had that UAI.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
And it seems that ANU controls intake levels as a means of controlling UAI cut-offs. I would expect most cut-offs to remain the same the base (85) maybe fall slightly....

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
ah okay, thanks guys. sure hope i make it into law...

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Jago said:
ah okay, thanks guys. sure hope i make it into law...
somebody told me that the law cutoff may go up because UC law places are going down.
addy what was that about act/law - you think it will go up? noo don't go up I like that uai ...

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I was commenting that act/law may already have a higher UAI than straight or other combined laws because of the actuarial aspect.

Law cut-offs have remained static for a couple of years now so they may be pushed up. However the UC argument is inherently flawed, not many people place UC ahead of ANU for Law. And the cutoff there is already lower so it follows that people that miss out on UC because the cutoff rises will already have a lower than ANU cutoff UAI. Therefore this would keep the ANU cut-off at its current level or prevent it falling very far however would not push it up.

I would say more likely in terms of shift causing is the low cut-off for arts at UNSW this year (78 something for fucks sake) will mean that there will be increased interest in it. eg why move to canberra when you can stay in Sydney, go to UNSW and stand a better chance of getting it? This could potentially drastically reduce the upward pressure on ANUs base UAI which has been driven up something like 15 points in four years because of its lowness as comparred to the Sydney unis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)