Different journeys in The Tempest (1 Viewer)

gwemma88

HSC
Hey all,

I have an essay...

"Shakespeare has explored a variety of journeys through the power of the imagination in The Tempest. Discuss with close reference to the play."

I dont want you to actually write the essay for me, i just need help brainstorming the ideas. So far i have...

*Prospero and Miranda go on a physical journey when they are banished from Milan.
*The ship carrying Alonso and the others is on a physical journey when it is shipwwrecked by the tempest.
*Various christian journeys or events are alluded to eg Eden of Garden, raising of Lazarus.
*Miranda and Ferdinand are on a journey to find love.

They are just a few of my current ideas. It would be great if you could add to my list for me.

Thanks very muchly.

Mrs.McDreamy

stalker inc. president
HSC
Hmmm....There is also Prospero goes on an inner journey which in the end helps him change and forgive all those guys who usurped his position.

The whole play could be described as an imaginative journey represented as reality; the island is mystical and there is more to it than meets the eye. I remember finding quotes for this... there are the two drunken sailors (geez I can't even remember there names :(...) and they are describing the island completely differently, one describes it as green, lush beautiful, were as the other describes it as bare and eerie etc... suggesting that the island itself has imaginative properties. there are also always mysterious noises everywhere.

You could always go on for a while about the spirits (Ariel, the wedding spirits), caliban, and prosperos magic, which although is imaginative... doesn't really have a journey attached to it (which really annoys me!!).

That's all I can come up with, sorry I couldn't be more help.

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
Mrs.McDreamy said:
there are the two drunken sailors (geez I can't even remember there names :(
You mean Trinculo, the jester, and Stephano, the drunken butler? ;)

Mrs.McDreamy said:
there are also always mysterious noises everywhere.
Caliban actually says something about this...
Just looked up quote for you. :)
The start and end are:
CALIBAN:
"Be not afeard; the isle is full of noises,
I cried to dream again."
My book refers to it as Scene III.2, from about line 136 or something.

Good luck in your assignment. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)