Differences in these courses? (1 Viewer)

Sasky

HSC

LazyBoy

HSC
well its reasonably simple Arts courses you can only choose subec t units from the Faculty of ARts. Arts and Sciences degree you can choose units from Sciences aswell. Also in arts and sciences you ahve to do some legal units, economics units, arts and sciences units. theres a prescribed ammount of credit points for each.

Sasky

HSC
LazyBoy said:
well its reasonably simple Arts courses you can only choose subec t units from the Faculty of ARts. Arts and Sciences degree you can choose units from Sciences aswell. Also in arts and sciences you ahve to do some legal units, economics units, arts and sciences units. theres a prescribed ammount of credit points for each.
um... I havent gone to uni yet - does that mean I have more variety of subjects to study?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Combined might take you places and goes for five years, non-combined is far too general, will leave you burger flipping and goes for three years.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
Alright that burger fliping comment is hardly legit because theres no way ill end up doing that and i do a general arts degree. A combined degree is useful should you wish to later in life purse an area where science is a helpful degree to have. I.E should you wish to be an english/music teacher science will not assist. Its a case of choosing what suits you best.

A general arts degree will get you hired provided u take subject and do well in them that will interest you future employers. If you dont have a future in mind take courses you love and attend one of tehir seminars which explains what you can do with such a degree in terms of work.

Personally im looking into going into teaching, however in any education degree, combined or not i would be unable to take ancient history as they have more limited range of arts units in a combined degree (matter of credit pionts) and you cant (for soem bizarre reason i dont get) take anicent history and be deemed capable of teaching history at a high school level (though you could take history and be deemed capable of teaching ancient but that neither here nor there)

Simply take the degree which best suits teh courses you wished to take or most interests you.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I agree. I think your burger flipping comment was a little out of line Justin :p

The_DJ

HSC
Just letting you know that in 2005 the b of arts and sciences will cease and be amalgamated into B science/arts from 2006.. it stated somewhere in the arts faculty handbook if i remember correctly..

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Sarah168 said:
I agree. I think your burger flipping comment was a little out of line Justin :p
OK maybe I exaggerated a bit, my point is that doing the combined degree will leave you a lot more qualified because you have opportunities to explore more problem solving skills in the science component, and more communications and whatever other skills you gain in the arts component, due to it actually being two complete degrees as opposed to one general purpose one.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
withoutaface said:
OK maybe I exaggerated a bit, my point is that doing the combined degree will leave you a lot more qualified because you have opportunities to explore more problem solving skills in the science component, and more communications and whatever other skills you gain in the arts component, due to it actually being two complete degrees as opposed to one general purpose one.
lol no it gains you some more skills that may/maynot be relevant to your career path. I mean i could do a combined degree in arts/law but its hardly going to qualify me to be a ancient hitory professor....

so yes combined degrees are useful so long as they are applicable to your goal/future... or if u have no idea what you want to do and are good at a range of subjects!

Sasky

HSC
withoutaface said:
Combined might take you places and goes for five years, non-combined is far too general, will leave you burger flipping and goes for three years.
WTF... that made me s*** my pants - jk. but seriously - *prods withoutaface in the stomach*

shelley said:
Alright that burger fliping comment is hardly legit because theres no way ill end up doing that and i do a general arts degree...

A general arts degree will get you hired provided u take subject and do well in them that will interest you future employers. If you dont have a future in mind take courses you love and attend one of tehir seminars which explains what you can do with such a degree in terms of work...
That calmed me down a bit..

The_DJ said:
Just letting you know that in 2005 the b of arts and sciences will cease and be amalgamated into B science/arts from 2006.. it stated somewhere in the arts faculty handbook if i remember correctly..
That scared me again --- :eek: - then why'd they bother making it? Hmm now I'm slightly more confused

withoutaface said:
OK maybe I exaggerated a bit...
Hmm I do hope so... :eek:

berghousemaa

HSC
The handbook said that the combined Arts Science degree that takes 5 years ios being amalgamated with the 5 year Science Arts combined degree. The new 3 year Arts and Sciences degree is staying.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ok I'm doing (hopefully depending on tomorrow) the economics and social sciences degree.
There is no degree that will let me do those courses together, without the need for doing some compulsory ones I can's suceed in.
i.e. I have no maths knowlege, and this course would allow me to not take up any maths, accounting, statistics units etc.
I wish to go into marketing, and this course is the perfect one for me.
I am absolutely positive that any employer who views my resume, and sees Bach eco and social sciences along with majors in Ind Rel & HRM, Management and Marketing as well as an honour year in marketing, wouldnt consider accepting someone who did a commerce/arts course.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
ok how do teh first two sentances make sense?

meanwhile best of luck with that, youd be surprised what peopel hire, i ahev a friend who did an arts degree with a major in history (and she did honours in history) and got hired by one of Australias biggest advertising firms, they actually head hunted her beacause of her honour thesis, which she examines pop cultures use of mythology (think buffy, angel ect)

Employers can surprise you! heheh my dads a inspector for the indusrial relations....haha have fun with that

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hehe yeah sorry, im confused as to my starting statements as you are ;p

LazyBoy

HSC
the essential difference between BAS and BA / BSc is that im doing BAS and not BA / BSc lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)