Differences Between Uni Courses? (1 Viewer)

black_raven777

HSC
Hey all,

Looking at different medicine courses and it seems to me they are all very similar - all migrated to PBL learning similar to Newcastle.

Just wondering if anyone has more detailed knowledge on the differences between the uni courses... I'd like to go to one that 'suits' me, but all I've been able to unearth is the following:

Newcastle is very patient/doctor relationship centred, 'holistic' medicine

Western Sydney is looking to foster relationships "between hospitals and doctors" - ie; part of your training is at GP's

UNSW - Greater opportunities for research? - I've also heard some problems about their lack of "hard science"

Sydney - Seems to be a focus on Doctors and their community in their course overview? Anyone have any info on this?

I'm particularly interested in opinions on ANU, UniMelb, USyd or UNSW

Thanks,

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
black_raven777 said:
UNSW - Greater opportunities for research? - I've also heard some problems about their lack of "hard science"

Sydney - Seems to be a focus on Doctors and their community in their course overview? Anyone have any info on this?
I believe the USyd program is better suited for those interested in research as it provides a solid science background in the form of a bachelor degree.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
catch is it doesnt provide a honours yr in 7 yrs

so an independent research yr will drag it out to 8 yrs unless they make unwritten provisions

the Unis all look the same cos those are the aims of the AMC when accreditting a school lolz... its like writing what the examiners want to hear in your HSC exams ;)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
catch is it doesnt provide a honours yr in 7 yrs

so an independent research yr will drag it out to 8 yrs unless they make unwritten provisions
Since most of the research types will spend another (additional) decade in uni doing research, I don't see how an extra honours year can hurt that much. :p

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
well not realli ...its just exposes u more to it when most medical students who want to do research knows that tho the course is full-on already...

in med they give very little time to stat analysis... I know people that took a yr off for the full honours yr or did grad stats courses in the summer to catch up..

but yeah well most ppl try to avoid just an exclusive research career... cos a clinical career is where the money is at too.. so 50/50.. basically thats why u would do med.. so u can do both things.. or just the clinical... otherwise there isnt much point practicality-wise.

actualli the problem is also that 8 yrs of uni can suck... my mates been in uni for 8yrs.. he HATES it ...but it depends on the person.. personally i know i can barely hack the 6 yrs im here for... undergrad sucks..

Last edited:

moz

Med Student
HSC
black_raven777 said:
Newcastle is very patient/doctor relationship centred, 'holistic' medicine

Western Sydney is looking to foster relationships "between hospitals and doctors" - ie; part of your training is at GP's

I'm biased cause I'm a newcastle student, so bear that in mind! but UWS isn't only one to do training with GP's. we def. do here at newcastle, and i'm sure every course has GP attachment requirements. as for UNSW having greater opportunities for research... it's a 6 yr degree cause u take a yr off and do the B. Med sci in the middle (a 1yr research yr available only to med students)... so they do 5yrs to get MD and 1 yr of researh. here at newcastle we do 5 yrs to get MD... and wait for it... you can choose to do the B. Med Sci research yr as well if u want!!!!!! go to UNSW and u have to do it, go to newcastle and u can do it. for some ppl 6 yrs is just to long a time to be studying at uni for... for others doing that 1 yr research is really important... fact is though u can do b. med sci at pretty much any med school!

so i'd have to agree, the med schools are all quite similair.. the difference is in course structure, length (adelaide is 6 without b. med sci, newy is 5 without it, unsw is 6 with it compulsoryly included etc), when clinical exposure starts (here at newy its week 3 1st yr and u'r in the hospitals talking to patients, hands on clinical examination starts 2nd semester 1st yr) and also the presentation format (didatic or PBL/self-directed)

go newcastle!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
dun ruin it for him... lolz...

yes you dun get an MD in any university in australia for ure basic medical degree...

also I recall UNSW no longer confers the BSc (Med) with their new course... like they use to do..

Last edited:

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
yeah, that's right - the 8 month research project is compulsory but is only part of the basic MBBS course. if you want to, you can replace it with a full BMedSci (hons) year to get the extra qualification, but it takes an extra semester and is about twice much work as the basic project. Good for those who really like research though.

lala2

Banned
HSC
USYD is good for research, with that B.Med.Sc. or B.Sc. under your belt, but the actual 4 year postgrad degree itself I heard is rather lacking--too much emphasis on communication, and not enough solid basic sciences. What I'm trying to say is, if you go to USYD, make sure you get into the provisional degree, that way, you'll actually have some basic sciences, rather than the postgrad degree itself. It's even worse if the person did, say, Arts or Commerce as an undergrad and then went straight into the postgrad MBBS, because they would not have a basic science background and the postgrad course apparently does not do enough of it.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
That is the point of the gamsat. It is correct to say it doesn't have enough anatomy, however i'm quite sure it has enough science under its belt. Not sure about the communication comment, that's the first thing I have heard about that. (are you talking about unsw maybe?).

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
I heard similar from a Usyd VMO but he was a radiologist.. and was quite pissed off that 2nd yrs from melb and adelaide (<=== mind u all our consultants think we are piss poor already =() knew more anatomy than the Usyd 1st yrs... who were older than us and had BSc's

but anatomy can be caught up.. we arent all goin to be surgeons.. so its ok..

its very hard to wonder which is more important..but since most students will become GPs and its not realli anatomy intensive but communication is v. important.. but then its why we have a massive pathologist shortage cos noone really harbours the interest in the basic sciences for the students =\

the australian had heaps on this lik a couple of months ago..so has pathway, AMA magazine and the RACGP magazine..if ure interested :)

opinion:
UMelb seems to be a great course but not very clinically orientated so its just not as practical.. very good research opportunities... more lecture based than other unis..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)