• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Difference between transcript and a script? (1 Viewer)

Insanity

HSC
Hey,

yeah ... just what the title says. Can anybody tell me the major differences between a script and a transcript? I thought there weren't really any differences, but apparently there are.
Also, can anybody give me some general info on the format of a TV interview? Any links would really help - thanks!

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
well i think a script is like a play or something.. where the actors act it out (it was written before performed)
a transcript is something thats written down after its been said, eg an interview on tv
i think the fact that one is fictional and one isnt is probably the major difference
a tv interview for me in my assignment was a short introduction to the text, one person talks about a point/theme then the other brings up some other point or refutes what the first person said.. somehow shove related materials in there somewhere

santaslayer

HSC
A transcript is recorded as the interview (or whatever) is on and you can probably access it via the internet. etc.

EDIT: Oh yea, what Cro said. :p

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
a script includes all the necessary information, such as movements around set, gestures, etc.
the transcript is just what is said.

...methinks.

Insanity

HSC
Okay, so with a transcript all movements/ actions are written down whereas with a script ...it's just what dialogue's been said?

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
transcript is where u have all the movements and actions.. and it's like split up into sequences... and yeh.. u write everything down..

eg. television transcript

SEQUENCE 1

Theme Music Plays. Camera zooms on doors as host comes out.

Cut to audience applauding.

Announcer: Welcome to BLAH BLAH game show!

something along those lines ^^

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
no, the above is a script, NOT a transcript. to differentiate, think of a script in terms of a play or movie (stage directions, lighting, costuming, music) and a transcript as something you would find in a radio archive. a transcript is a copy of what was said during an interview etc. it does not contain all the additional directives of a script.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
um.. i got taught this at tutor though. and the tutor teacher said that the people in recent HSC had a question which asked for a transcript but 99% of the state did a script so it was marked as a script.. but what i did above IS a transcript...

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
tutors arent the be all and end all - gadzooks, sometimes even we get it wrong (yes, i tutor ppl...poor little things mwah-ha-ha).
simplified definition:
script: what is planned on being said, acted etc. (eg. play)
transcript: what was said etc. (eg. records of radio interviews in archives)

sometimes, when considering a peice of written work, it is difficult to differentiate between what was meant to be a script and what was meant to be a transcript as they share many common essentials.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Christ this is confusing. I'm going to check for confirmation tomorrow at school and then post back here when I find out for sure which one is which...but I'm almost certain that a transcript contains only what has been said and has been written after an incident...wheras a script is the planning for what is going to be said in a film/play and is written before the incident.

Confirmation pending...

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
In ABC's radio interview archive they have all their interviews listed, then, when you bring them up, they've got this header thing which says "Transcript of live interview blah blah blah, from blah blah blah" - which i suppose should indicate that the transcript is the copy written after the event.
after all, plays are scripts - and these are written before they are acted. and those film book things, some of them have in the front 'contains transcript of selected material from the film...'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)