difference between sarcasm & irony (1 Viewer)

hul0

HSC
can some1 plz explain the difference, i was told that sarcasm uses irony and its mainly bitter and is used to make someone feel bad like saying "you look so skinny" to someone who is actually obese =(

but keeping this in my mind i answered one of the trials question as irony and it was really sarcasm even though the quote didn't ' offend anyone
:confused:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Irony is the situation where their is a direct incongruty in the apparent conection between what is said, and what is actuality. e..g a cop being arrested.

Sarcasm uses this, and its usage is apparent through tone. It is primary used through stating the obvious, or stating the opposite.

There is also sardocism, which is a deliberate expression of derision, disbelief, or cynicism. This technique is often mistaken as sarcasm.

As for your question, its hard to say without being given the line, delivery or context. There are a few forms of irony (which I'm sure you could find on wikipedia), so if it doesn't fit any of the categories, then your teachers probably right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)