Difference between independent assortment and random segregation (1 Viewer)

wilsondw

HSC
As evident from the title, what is the difference between independent assortment and random segregation in meiosis?

Its kind of screwing me over...I was able to understand it before.... but now I just realised that I lost my head

I would appreciate any help

madharris

HSC
N/A
Random Segregation: The alleles go through meiosis to create gametes, they will segregate from one another, and each of the haploid gametes will end up with only one allele
i.e Alleles for the same trait (e.g. height) separate/segregate into different gametes.

Independent assortment is when you are looking at how the alleles of two genes separate. The alleles will assort themselves independently of one another when the haploid gametes are formed in meiosis. each haploid gamete ends up with a different combination of alleles of these two genes
i.e. Independent assortment: Alleles for different traits separate/assort independently from each other

chocolatemilkk

HSC
random segregation: The alleles go through meiosis to create gametes, they will segregate from one another, and each of the haploid gametes will end up with only one allele
i.e alleles for the same trait (e.g. Height) separate/segregate into different gametes.

Independent assortment is when you are looking at how the alleles of two genes separate. The alleles will assort themselves independently of one another when the haploid gametes are formed in meiosis. Each haploid gamete ends up with a different combination of alleles of these two genes
i.e. Independent assortment: Alleles for different traits separate/assort independently from each other
thankyou so much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)