Difference between B Nursing & B Midwifery (1 Viewer)

Rainie

HSC
Sorry for being ignorant :cold:

Does the midwifery study the nursing course as well? I think once I read in the paper that midwifery was a post-graduate course. So i'm wondering, can a nursing student take on midwifery after they graduate from the nursing course? because as far as I know, the nursing course doesn't have midwifery included in it.

Apologies if I don't make sense :eek:

purplemonkey

HSC
I think the B. Midwifery would have to include some general nursing, but not enough for you to practice as an RN.

To my knowledge, you can do the 3 years B. Nursing then a 12 month post-grad in Midwifery which would allow you to practice as an RN/RM. But if you do the 3 year B. Midwifery first and then want to do the nursing, its the full 3 years of B. Nursing on top of that.

So, B. Nursing then (I think its a Masters) Midwifery = 4 years

B. Midwifery then B. Nursing = 6 years

Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Try looking at Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery and Health - University of Technology, Sydney

HSC
With nursing you do go over some basics about childbirth etc but you never learn how to deliver a baby etc. Basically if you think u might want to do both id advise doing nursing for 3yrs then doing a postgrad course about 12months midwifery after. Otherwise if u do midwifery for 3 yrs then want to change to nursing i think its a shortened 2yrs u can do it in but still ends up being longer probs.

kuringgai

HSC
I should study midwifery as I've failed two nursing subjects yet. too late to change.

HSC
Midwifery is no easier than nursing, if you are failing then maybe you should consider putting more time into study or getting help from your tutors. Midwifery has its own difficults, i dont think you can say that helping to deliver a baby and all the possible complications that can arise are easy to train for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)