Difference between Advanced Chinese A and Intermediate Chinese A? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Apart from this reason:

- Intermediate being taught in English, and Advanced being taught in Mandarin.

What sorts of characters will I be expected to know by the end of each of the courses? Also, what sorts of material will I need to go through for each of the courses? Anyone have a list of textbooks that I can flick through at the UNSW bookshop?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It's still early days for you. Those units require prerequisites which you obviously haven't completed since you haven't started university.

Perhaps start from the junior units.

HSC
Uni Grad
It's still early days for you. Those units require prerequisites which you obviously haven't completed since you haven't started university.

Perhaps start from the junior units.
But then again, don't you choose a particular stream, either Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced? Because I'm considering either Intermediate or Advanced, since I was told that Beginners is too basic for me and I'll end up repeating what I have learned a long time ago (I went to Chinese school for 3 years already). Also, if you choose Intermediate stream, you're not allowed to do Beginner units.

I think I need someone from UNSW who has done Chinese to help me out here, i.e Timothy.Siu or even sinophile :L

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I just had a further look into the handbook and it does seem to state that people with equivalent knowledge can enter straight into those units so I'm probably wrong.

Nonetheless, I'm curious as to how they determine whether a student can be permitted to study that unit.

Keep me updated.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
What I never understood was... what's to stop someone who has been speaking Chinese their ENTIRE life only at home (but English everywhere else).... from pretending that they don't know jack shit about Chinese, then doing only Beginners or Intermediate, then absolutely tanking it?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
What I never understood was... what's to stop someone who has been speaking Chinese their ENTIRE life only at home (but English everywhere else).... from pretending that they don't know jack shit about Chinese, then doing only Beginners or Intermediate, then absolutely tanking it?
nothing. That's like lots of other subjects too though.
But you'd be wasting money, since you won't learn anything, but I guess most people won't care if they get good marks.
But I guess if you're REALLY that good, it may be possible to tell....

Umm, theres a placement test you can do. Read here http://languages.arts.unsw.edu.au/placement-procedures/chinese/

benk2788

Banned
HSC
actually I just knew it right now about Advanced Chinese A and Intermediate Chinese A :)maybe the advanced Chinese are more advanced..hehe maybe the title itself describe their differences :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)