Diff/ Sum Question Pls Help (1 Viewer)

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
Why do we the let the number of top of sigma be k? Why not infinity? Just wondering, thanks in advance :)Screenshot 2024-01-25 174814.pngScreenshot 2024-01-25 171316.pngScreenshot 2024-01-25 171322.png

Last edited:

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
well if its an infinite sum, then u should take the limit as k goes to infinity

their working out is kinda janked though but prob previous parts make sense
Wdym? My teacher said to create a telescoping sum, but im wondering why they put k at the top

HSC
But why dont we let it be infinity then? Is it cos it would be hard to form a telescoping sum that way?
infinity isnt a number most of the time when u see infinities in math ur actually just taking a limit to infinity. the infinity commonly used in math is just another way of saying what happens as this number gets really big.

u can still make a telescoping sum if the symbol used is infinity it doesnt really matter

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
infinity isnt a number most of the time when u see infinities in math ur actually just taking a limit to infinity. the infinity commonly used in math is just another way of saying what happens as this number gets really big.

u can still make a telescoping sum if the symbol used is infinity it doesnt really matter
But then wouldnt u sub in infinity which dorsnt rlly make sense and i dont think it would gey u the right answer either

HSC
But then wouldnt u sub in infinity which dorsnt rlly make sense and i dont think it would gey u the right answer either
if u do take the limit u get that the result would equal 1 + ln(2) + ln(2) > 1+ln2

? @kendricklamarlover101 Is that what you meant?
u can take the limit from the start just by writing

and if u want to expand the sum out to see the telescoping series the result would look like

also im pretty sure the solution has an error as the first 2 sums should just cancel out to ln(k).

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
if u do take the limit u get that the result would equal 1 + ln(2) + ln(2) > 1+ln2

u can take the limit from the start just by writing

and if u want to expand the sum out to see the telescoping series the result would look like

also im pretty sure the solution has an error as the first 2 sums should just cancel out to ln(k).
How exactly would you solve that eqn tho? Is it the same way as the written sol?

Luukas.2

HSC
The first line on the second page, where the is introduced, is flawed. It states that

which may or may not be true, depending on the value of :

The proper way to introduce the is to also introduce a limit, as the LHS is also an infinite sum:

or, to take a finite sum on both sides:

and then take limits as at the end.

The solution shown from the answers is sloppily written in how it introduces the limit and provides an example that should not be followed. Whether it would be penalised would depend on the marker. I would probably tolerate it, but grizzle, if the line stated something like "for large "... but as it stands, I have shown two values of for which the result is provably false, and I am sure there are more if I include more terms on the LHS.

Incidentally, the expression on the LHS was shown by Euler to be:

which established the required result as

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)