• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

diff btw inductive and deductive reasoning? (1 Viewer)

IP_freely

evo 9 ftw
HSC
can sum1 give me a definition of wat Inductive and Deductive reasoning is? and how is it used by courts in deciding matters

ta

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Deductive arguments are arguments in which the truth of the premises is intended to guarantee the truth of the conclusion. For example:

1. All men are mortals
2. John is a man
C. Therefore John is a mortal

Since both 1 & 2 are true, C must be true. For a deductive argument to be good or "sound" it must have true premises and the form must flow logically (validity). Validity is somewhat complex so I won't go into that.

Inductive arguments are those in which the premises are intended not to guarantee the conclusion, but to raise the probability of the conclusion, or give good reason to believe the conclusion. It is based on observation and from this we can form rules of relationships. For example:

1. Humankind has never seen a flying elephant.
C. Therefore elephants do not fly.

Judges mainly use inductive reasoning.

lj91

HSC
N/A
hey i dunno where i should post this but i couldnt help but notice that ur studyin a B of policing at uws.. was just wonderin how ur findin it n if u would recommend it... considerin my first hsc exam is in 2 days i kinda need to decide if policin is a good idea or not... set aside my gender ... as the typical responce i get when i say i wanna do policing is "what your a chick" followed by laughter so yeah any help and insight into the course would b helpful.. thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)