Didn't do so well in 1/2 yearly exams... (1 Viewer)

OabAli

HSC
Hi, I recently got my 1/2 yearly marks back, and did, how do I put this...mediocre to good/not great. :(

These are my marks:
English Advanced:
- AoS: 51% - worth 10%
- Hamlet: 80% - worth 15%
- Overall: 68.4% - worth 25% of Internal Assessment - rank 57/79
Maths 2U: 65% - worth 30% - rank 9/36
Maths Ext. 1: 44% - worth 30% - rank 4/9
Physics: 59% - worth 20% - rank ??? (teacher didn't say, but highest in class was 80%)
SDD: N/A
SoR: assessment next week (Judaism)

I didn't study alot (the day/s before the exam). Also, I think the fact that having the Physics and MX1 exams on the same day affected my marks...
At least I failed (i.e. <50%) in only 1 of them - after the exams, I thought I failed 3: Physics, MX1 and English AoS.

I've calculated my overall results so far:
English Ad.: 69% - worth 45%
Maths 2U: 59% - worth 45%
Maths Ext 1: 48% - worth 45%
Physics: 76% - worth 50%
SDD: ??? (my teacher didn't reveal our marks for 1st assessment for some reason)
SoR: 75% (for 1st assessment) - worth 20%

I can admit that I'm currently in a downfall phase in my HSC. I was even in the top 10% of my year group in Year 11 ('Academic Excellence' award), but chances of that happening this year are slim.

So how hard do I have to work in my subsequent assignments and exams to get a UAI above 80? I know I can bounce back and 'regain my composure', stop procrastinating and study a whole week or three before exams and assignments, but how much commitment into study and schoolwork to achieve 80-85+ UAI? What kind of marks should I get?

Any comments, bad or good, are welcome. Thnx.

studentcheese

HSC
Improve on exam technique. You will have to work very hard: 3 -4 hours a night according to study skills session.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
You'll need 3-4 hours a night of study. Also, get of BoS and work your ass off.

OabAli

HSC
What ur basically saying is that through constant study, the knowledge will 'stick in my head' in the long term, being more accessible when needed.

Sounds reasonable...

Forgot to mention, I "blanked out" several times during the exams, especially Physics, even though I studied a particular topic thoroughly. Any tips on how to improve exam technique?

Thnx for replies so far...

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
Practice past exam questions in exam conditions. this is the only way to improve your exam technique. that and look after yourself during exam periods and try not to stress too much.

I know how it feels to blank out, did it in both my maths papers in HSC. It's the worst feeling in the world but there is nothing you can do about it, all you can do is your best.

I am sure someone else will say this too but it is not HOW MUCH you study but HOW WELL you study so I would work on making the hours you do study more productive more then increasing the number of hours, though this will come as the HSC gets closer. I might also recommend that you spend more time on the things you don't know so well, such as your English AOS

OabAli

HSC
Practice past exam questions in exam conditions. this is the only way to improve your exam technique. that and look after yourself during exam periods and try not to stress too much.

I know how it feels to blank out, did it in both my maths papers in HSC. It's the worst feeling in the world but there is nothing you can do about it, all you can do is your best.

I am sure someone else will say this too but it is not HOW MUCH you study but HOW WELL you study so I would work on making the hours you do study more productive more then increasing the number of hours, though this will come as the HSC gets closer. I might also recommend that you spend more time on the things you don't know so well, such as your English AOS
Thnx for that. Simple, yet valuable. Will definietly take that into consideration!

Yep, in Maths Ext. exams, I easily blank out, because some the questions are usually asked in a way that u don't think you'll understand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)