Did your classes actually finish the Prelim course? (1 Viewer)

iPhone4

HSC
N/A
Hey all,

I was wondering if this was a weird issue at my school or what, but with my 3U maths class (which is the same as our 2U class) we didn't finish the Prelim course, and we still have a couple chapters to go, like:

- Logarithms
- Permutations and Combinations
- Parametrics
- half of Locus
and there may be another one.
edit: Polynomials

Also, our head of studies at our Year 12 info evening was like
"The first one/two weeks of next term is still preliminary course work"
So I am so confused, does this happen elsewhere?

Last edited:

Roy216

HSC
I remember my school started the HSC course last week of term 3, we finished prelims before the exams.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Happened at my school.

Doesn't matter anyway, all maths is testable whether it's Year 11 or 12.

omgiloverice

HSC
Nope we finished the whole yr11 course the day before the examination week starts -.-
But some schools don't really finish the whole course because its either too hard for most yr11's, and/or they like to extend some of the prelim topics to hsc level.

But don't worry about it you'll eventually catch up

Deliriously

HSC
Our school didn't finish maths , chemistry or physics.
but I guess for maths, everything is tested anyway so it doesn't matter.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Our school didn't finish maths , chemistry or physics.
but I guess for maths, everything is tested anyway so it doesn't matter.
Really?

Well, for my class, the teacher rushed Moving About and especially Cosmic Engine so bad.... They should just have 3 topics in Prelim rather than 4...

Deliriously

HSC
Really?

Well, for my class, the teacher rushed Moving About and especially Cosmic Engine so bad.... They should just have 3 topics in Prelim rather than 4...
Yeah, we couldn't finish the energy topic for chem and electrical in the home for physics but their excuse was the content we missed is going to be covered in the HSC.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't remember finishing the chem at my school...sure it happens in diff. subs at different places.

Maths is kinda a continuum syllabus anyway, schools do topics different orders and stuff.

starshine02

HSC
My school missed the same topics except for perms but i think it'll be alright. we also do prelim for first few days of term 4.

deswa1

HSC
For maths, I wouldn't worry because like people has said, there's not really a specific year 11/12 course- like we did perms as our last 3U topic in year 12 (after trials). As long as you cover everything before the end of year 12, its fine.

For sciences, there isn't really that much link between prelim and HSC (phys and chem anyway) except for some calculations and stuff like moles so as long as you've done all of those, you'll be fine there as well.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My school officially will still be doing preliminary work for the first week back so that we can complete the 120/60 indicative hours for the courses. The BOS picked us up on this during our last registration - that our Year 11 hours didn't add up - so we will be finishing preliminary next week (although I suspect that in most subjects the teachers will be handing back the exam papers done during the last week of last term, outlining the HSC courses, issuing assessment tasks etc and signing students out of their classes for much of the week rather than actually teaching stuff that should have been finished before the exams).

Focus is Key

HSC
I think there were a few little things that we didn't finish in Advanced like Quadratics and definately some stuff in the Extension course too. Our teacher basically spent forever on Circle Geo, Polynomials and a couple of the Algebraic Extension Maths things and tended to rush other topics (My worst ones) like Perms and Combs and Further Trigonometry which I hate.

suprwoman101

HSC
Legal studies finished about 3-4 weeks before final exam week, so we finished halfway through term 3 and we spent the spare weeks revising...

Biology was the only subject that didn't quite get finished, the topic on Australian Biota.

Modern, SOR, English Adv + Ext all finished on time. Hospitality carries over to year 12 anyway, so we are around where we should be in terms of content.

Bee_J

HSC
Senior Science wasn;t finished neither was maths, I think we had like half a topic or two left...
& my PDHPE class finished like 2-3 weeks before prelim exams!

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Technically no. In the last few weeks of term 3 my SDD teacher rushed through 5 chapters to complete the prelim course. All he told us was to read the textbook and make notes without any explanation given

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
This is also similar to my physics teacher. The only difference is that my physics teacher gave us loads of homework

noname22

HSC
Also, our head of studies at our Year 12 info evening was like
"The first one/two weeks of next term is still preliminary course work"
So I am so confused, does this happen elsewhere?

Roy216

HSC
This is also similar to my physics teacher. The only difference is that my physics teacher gave us loads of homework
It's the worst thing a teacher can do especially in year 12, my physics teacher rushed our optional topic for hsc, it's been hard to understand it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)