did anyone perform poorly in english and get a good uai? (1 Viewer)

sinist4

HSC
hi did any perform poorly in english and get a good uai , if so what kinds of marks would you need ?

ta

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Umm it's possible.... as long as you well in your other subjects, you should still manage to get a solid UAI. I know some people who have gotten around 82 in English, but at the same time gotten UAI's over 97, so if you bugger up in English you won't necessarily be screwed for your entire HSC as long as you do good elsewhere.

About the marks, I'm not completely sure, I don't know what UAI you're aiming for. Try testing around with SAM to see what happens.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :(

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
sinist4 said:
hi did any perform poorly in english and get a good uai , if so what kinds of marks would you need ?

ta
Well, the dux of my school did Standard English and got a UAI of 99.9 but then again he got 1st in Physics and something like 96 in MX2.

In regards to the marks you need for a good UAI:
1. What do you consider to be a good UAI in the first place?
2. It depends on how well you perform in everything else.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
sinist4 said:
around 85-90 and above 90% for every thing else
Well, according to SAM (and it depends on what subjects you do as well), if you can attain a Band 6 in all of your subjects you're pretty mcuh set to get a UAI of ~98+. You could probably get away with a Band 4 in English, provided you do get a Band 6 in everything else. Although, there's little point in speculating over what you may or may not get...give it your best shot and you'll be satisfied with your resultant UAI.

FinalFantasy

HSC
sinist4 said:
so the guy got like band 6 for them right ?
his 4u maths must've been mid band 6 and phy and chem atleast a band 6 to cover up a 56 in english and get 96 UAI

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
you can get a good mark in english and flunk UAI, or the other way around... its weird how it all works.. i got 79 in Standard English, and not much worse for other subjects- did better in most.. and still totally totally flunked my UAI..

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
yeh i know a lot of asians, who have no confidence in english so they dont really try. However if they did try they would easily get a band 5 instead of band4.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Yea, probably...the guy at my school last year did Standard and he tried. Had he done Advanced he probably would've got 99.95, but it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things.

I guess it's an opportunity cost sort of thing...english vs maths. Is it better to leave English and not study at all, but work extremely hard on MX2 and get 96-97...or to give slightly more time to English, but not get such a great mark in MX2.

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I guess it's an opportunity cost sort of thing...english vs maths. Is it better to leave English and not study at all, but work extremely hard on MX2 and get 96-97...or to give slightly more time to English, but not get such a great mark in MX2.
too true - my sister (14 years older so different system, ter, not uai yada yada) spend a hell of alot of time on maths and physics. not so much on chem and english as she didn't like them. i think she ended up with 80 something in chem, prob 70 something in english BUT full marks on the 3 unit maths paper, and nearly full marks on the 4 unit one. with a ter of 98.

she ended up doing a phd in physics. it just all depeneds where your priorities lie - i know i would far rather get 95+ in maths then get 80+ in english, although i would be estatic about the english as i don't put much work in to it.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
chinesefireball said:
too true - my sister (14 years older so different system, ter, not uai yada yada) spend a hell of alot of time on maths and physics. not so much on chem and english as she didn't like them. i think she ended up with 80 something in chem, prob 70 something in english BUT full marks on the 3 unit maths paper, and nearly full marks on the 4 unit one. with a ter of 98.

she ended up doing a phd in physics. it just all depeneds where your priorities lie - i know i would far rather get 95+ in maths then get 80+ in english, although i would be estatic about the english as i don't put much work in to it.
Very true...although I guess if you put even a few hours towards English before the HSC and maybe even a couple for each assessment, you could still get a Band 5 in English.
And though your sister got 100% in MX1, maybe she could have got that anyway without the extra study...it's just a gamble in a way really. For instance, I hate it when I study heaps for an exam that I think is going to be difficult and it ends up being a fair bit easier...not only was my study useless, but it took time away from my other subjects. By the same token, the reverse could happen as well...don't study - get a hard exam and you're stuffed.

FinalFantasy

HSC
if i had to choose between doing well in MX2 or english advanced, i would go MX2 as it scales waaaaaayyyyyyyyy higher den english lol

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
if i had to choose between doing well in MX2 or english advanced, i would go MX2 as it scales waaaaaayyyyyyyyy higher den english lol
But there's only a certain extent to which you can perform in any one subject - eventually you will be limited by personal ability and at such a stage, further study will most likely be futile or have little benefit. At such a point, you would gain more out of studying for your other subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)