Did Anyone Get Confused By The Wording Of The Time Dilation Question (1 Viewer)

hellohello

the answers D. moving clocks run slower therefore time is greater on earth!!!!!!!! therefore the only answer appropiate is D

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
wouldnt the ship hav to accelerate to 0.8c?
so like he's the one moving relative to the Earth
his rest time (i.e time in his frame) is 10.
his velocity is 0.8c
so its D? i hope ...

DAMN hand rule f#$ked up

i put B after i changed it from D, so i agree with all of u
i thought it was 6

it helped that there were 2 answers smaller than 10 and 1 bigger
so 16.7 looked a little suspicious

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by dieselboi
.. Q. DADADADADADA.... THE GUY ON THE SHIP MEASURED IT AS 10..... AN OBSERVER ON EARTH ALSO HAD A CLOCK. WHAT IS THE MEASURED TIME AS SEEN ON THE SHIP??

WTF?

I THINK IT WAS MULTI CHOICE. BUT IT CONFUSED ME!!!!
That was a f--king trick question!! I am sooo angry over it. I was reading so fast that I put D when I should've put B

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
0_O i put B..
oh shiet.. the wording was all weird

*crosses fingers* hope its B

smeyo

i dont think we will ever be able to agree or disagree i guess its up to what the actual answer is and maybe we will never know...

robertdapice

Our physics course does not deal with Einstein's general relativity, that clarifies the awkwardness people have mentioned above - an important factor is that the SPACESHIP was the object that accelerated away from earth, effectively entering a new space-time. The earth did not accelerate. This acceleration determines which object sees the other slowed/sped up.

That is my understanding.

And, according to this, I believe that the answer is D.

(The situation is even more complicated by the fact the it would be difficult for the space ship to see the light coming from earth... I assumed that this was instantaneous. ?)

Anyways, there is an ambiguity, since our course does not cover some material that was seemingly necessary to answer the question.

That's what I think anywho.

Bannanafish

HSC
yes that's right, which is why i ignored the accelerating part becasue it's not in special relativity, i took the constant velocity of the spacecraft going away and the answer IS b for that case

dieselboi

LOL F*CKING WORDING PISSES ME OFF, THAT SHOULD'VE BEEN AN EASY MARK IF I GOT IT WRONG JUST BECOZ OF THE AMBIGUITY OF THE BLOODY QUESTION.
i went with my instinct though. I am still not sure at all as to what it is because the question is still very unclear! is this debatable with the BOS examiners??? because well i am just not happy at all JAN!
meh.. its only one mark but still! it could mean the difference between a band 5 and a band 6!!!!!!

does anyone know for sure what the answer is?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
hmm yeah i think its B (even though i put D) when it turns around decelerating and accelerating(in the twins paradox) is the pt where the time passes quickly on earth relative to the ship. but since the ship doesnt turn around then this has no effect.... i think there was a diagram somewhere on the net...

hmmm:(

B.Rabbit

Banned
Whats a worse worded question is the transformers 1:25 and 25:1 ... the whole question is stated in p:s then answer must be in s:p .... getfucked bos..

McDaddy

HSC
N/A
hmm it has to be D though... well that's what I put down :p. Anyway it was a stupid question because from the spacecraft it would be probably impossible to see the earth. And you'd have to take into account that the light from coming from the earth in order to see the time would mean the astronaut is actually looking into the past then that sorta screws it up :S. Really bad/tricky question.

-X-

HSC
N/A
But i thought twins paradox was taken out of the syllabus which means they cant test u on it. Wasn't this some form of the twins paradox?

soxon

Originally posted by soxon
I believe 5 is d)

Relativity's twin paradox states that the twin at c will age less. Think of minutes instead of years, after a short time twin on c would age a couple of minutes and twin on earth would ages more than twin on c right? so then twin on earth's time is greater than twin on c...

thinking now instead of a short time, 10 minutes on the ship has past, greater than 10 minutes on earth has past. therefore the earth has sped up relative to the ship, time on earth > 10 minutes
now change those minutes to years.

from the other thread ;)

Affinity

HSC
Originally posted by dieselboi
HEY MAN I JUST THOUGHT, HOW FUNNY WOULD IT BE IF WE GOT TOP MARKS FOR IT!! AND EVERYONE ELSE FKED IT UP!
YAY FOR US, EVEN THOUGH WE PROB GOT IT WRONG!
not everyone else, I am with you guys, I am your friend :p

First thing to do in relativity is to choose the frame of reference. and in this case, it's the spaceship's frame that is considered stationary and the earth's frame is 'moving'

so it's B

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)