Did Anyone Get Confused By The Wording Of The Time Dilation Question (1 Viewer)

Bannanafish

HSC
omg... did you even read my explanation?

they are both inertial frames so how could one take preference over the other???

Last edited:

Adam

HSC
It doesn't matter what preference you take, there is a fact that the space people age less, are you disputing that?

Bannanafish

HSC
they only age less if they come back to earth

stop being so stubborn and read my explanation

aging less = twins paradox
this question =/= twins paradox

Bannanafish

HSC
if one ages less than the other as a FACT then you ARE taking preference to one frame

Adam

HSC
This question has single handedly made my brain into an unrecoverable mush, lucky I have a one week break till the next one.

I do understand that if it was the train example then time would dialate inside the spaceship, but I just can't comprehend the clock on earth being quicker, it just doesn't fit into logic (even though relativity has little to do with logic).

Bannanafish

HSC
ok i'm glad you aggree with the train

now tell me how the train is different from a spaceship

good luck :D

mate.......this question is obviously time dialtion.........time dilation is time dialtion....time increasses......i cant c wat they are trying to twist about it since it is only question 5.........i think they want a straight forward answer in that from the astronatus frame of reference......time will increase........therefore it should be 16.7............thats wat i rekon........im probably off the point

Bannanafish

HSC
this question is time dilation, time dilates according to each frame of reference,

the question is, do you see the spaceship as a train thought experiment or the twins paradox?

Adam

HSC
Either way, it should be like a 4 mark explanation, not a one mark game of chance.

A train is different to a ship in it materials........ :p

edit - oops, I just contradicted myself.......

Last edited:
ok..forget about all this........think of the formula......to him,.his actual time is 10 years....so that makes To= 10 and we are finding Tv........therefore u end up getting 16.7----------y u would put 10 where Tv i, i dnt udnerstand..coz Tv is the time the astronaut is observing from his frame...wat u rekon??

Adam

HSC
I just read my post and though, hold shit what was I thinking!

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

That is my explanation.

the question and wording might be fuked.......but i cant c y u would put the 10 years for To in the formula.......it wont make sense the other way around

Bannanafish

HSC
EXPLANATION #2

the question now becomes, train though experiment or twins paradox

if for trains:
spaceship measures 10 years (given)
spaceship views earth as 6 years
earth measures 10 years
earth views spaceship as 6 years
since both perspectives are as valid as the other, earth is 6 years with the perspective of the spaceship (that's the perspective the question asked)
therefore B is correct

for twins paradox:
spaceship measures 10 years (given)
spaceship views earth as 6 years
earth measures 10 years
earth views spaceship as 6 years
since in twins paradox, spaceship comes back, earths perspective is taken preference, therefore the people on earth are older than the people in the spaceshit, BUT it's 10years older for earth people, 6 years older for space people
therefoe C is correct

so now that i look at it, D can't possible be correct, oh well i lose a mark :p

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
Bannanafish i felt like an idiot when i first said you were wrong...but at least i could accept your explanation for b unlike some of these people (adam) who don't even understand relativity
let's leave it be

Morgantic

Guys... the answer is 8.77777777.....
The spaceship has moved towards the speed of light, therefore undergone relativistic effects. So the time on earth is 16.77777777 when the ship arrives at this imaginary star, but because the star is 8 lightyears away from earth (0.8c x 10 years), the clock will only show 8.7777777 from the perspective of that spaceship at that star, because the light of the clock travels at the speed of light like all light :p

Whoever argues that it is the earth that moves is an idiot, as no energy is put into the earth to accelerate it to these speeds, otherwise the earth would gain a lot of mass by relativity for no specific reason and with no energy input to itself.

The BOS is crap, that question didn't give enough information to fully understand what was happening, neither did it give a correct answer.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i dun understand general relativity, but i remember reading somewhere before on Twins paradox that the reason time has passed slower on the space ship when he came back is mainly due to the acceleration and deceleration that took place when the ship turned around. the ship accelerating as it leaves and decelerating as it returns do not have as much of an effect as the midpt of the journey. i remeber reading that when the ship turns teh earths time elapses much faster relatively to the ship... i think. But since the ship doesnt turn in this q, you cant apply the twins paradox to this q. It's not 16.7, because the ship is taken to be an inertial frame in this q, or the q is totally screwed...(even though the q starts off by saying that the ship travels from orbit around earth, meaning it accelerated, hence the value should vary from 6, but since we dun know general relativity, we can only ignore this)

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by Morgantic
Guys... the answer is 8.77777777.....
The spaceship has moved towards the speed of light, therefore undergone relativistic effects. So the time on earth is 16.77777777 when the ship arrives at this imaginary star, but because the star is 8 lightyears away from earth (0.8c x 10 years), the clock will only show 8.7777777 from the perspective of that spaceship at that star, because the light of the clock travels at the speed of light like all light :p

Whoever argues that it is the earth that moves is an idiot, as no energy is put into the earth to accelerate it to these speeds, otherwise the earth would gain a lot of mass by relativity for no specific reason and with no energy input to itself.

The BOS is crap, that question didn't give enough information to fully understand what was happening, neither did it give a correct answer.
i dont think so.

the WILL move, relative to crew on board. acoording to general relativity, you cannot do an experiment in an inertial frame of reference that can make you say that you are moving or not[newtonian relativity]. therefore according to the spaceship crew, the earth would be moving past them. hence, the clock on earth would appear to be slower to them.
but, the people on earth would see the clock on spaceship slow down, which is ok acording to the relativity of simultaenity[einstein's theory of special relativity]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)