Did anyone else think that exam was hard? (1 Viewer)

Legham

HSC
I got so lucky today.. Nothing on sorts, nothing on level languages, nothing on diagrams except DFD.. Basically everything that i dont know wasn't in the test :)

FromDeeEast

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Dudes....

This was the FIRST time I ever finished the sdd paper before 3h were up, so...yeh EASY.

petro, agree 100% on the gate question. I was like, wtf for 10 mins trying to figure out WTF.
wtf lol i didnt finish :( i spent too much time writing heaps for the 2 and 3 mark qu's

i found my elective was decentish expect for last qu

i'd say i got 85+ raw.

any idea what scales too?

the exam wasnt difficult, had some good qu, but more long then anything

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Zomg no sorts. I completely forgot about that. If I got one sort question, I would have been completely fucked.

stewmazza

HSC
You guys are absolute spastics. not only is software design and development quite possibly the worst subject the hsc has to offer, it also scales terribly poorly and to get a band six in it you will need to get a raw mark of well above 95%. Why the hell would you bother doing it? if you found it hard, congratulations, your mark will scale down into the negatives and your uai will be worse than an asterix. how good is that! at least you have free beers at each pub you go to that night, then you can commit suicide striaght after

HSC
FromDeeEast said:
wtf lol i didnt finish :( i spent too much time writing heaps for the 2 and 3 mark qu's
So did I. You need to write faster, and spend less time thinking and more time writing :p

FromDeeEast said:
i found my elective was decentish expect for last qu
Agreed, I didn't like the last question on SDVH. I was also upset there was no 2c subtraction or division.

It was TOO easy.

Mooju

HSC
did anyone do evolution of programming?? or did you all do developers view on the hardware??? was pretty happy with the exam.... finished it in 2.5 hrs , some bits of the paper were tricky though... hoping about.. 92-95+

ToMmmm

HSC
I thought it was challenging, but quite good.

No hard algorithms luckily.. I wasn't sure on some questions, but the good thing about this exam is that you can BS your way to marks if you have some tiny idea what the answer is by just following the 'explain' or 'evaluate' :).

I was ready for a sorting question, so it sucked there wasn't any...

And Software is previously one of the best scaling subjects.. who knows about this year, but in other years it has been, so I have no idea what Stewmazza is on about.

P.S I did Evolution of Programming Languages :). It was good, quite alot of BS questions, and the code questions were actually fairly straight forward.

Mooju

HSC
yeah that's pretty true ^^ it was a good exam in some respects, open ended questions here n there as well so as long as whatevery ou wrote answered the question it was good

Mooju

HSC
ToMmmm said:
P.S I did Evolution of Programming Languages :). It was good, quite alot of BS questions, and the code questions were actually fairly straight forward.
I thought evolution of programming languages was really really easy: they let you choose which historical reason for developing functional, and one of those historical reasons is like a massive dot point! --> progrtammer productivity so you could speak so much about that and then you had 2 questions on object oriented ---> MAN that was straightforward too yeah? + that stuff on show working and creating rules and facts was pretty easy too

live.fast

HSC
N/A
it aligns pretty okay.

it scales (by uac) pretty crap.

difference.

but yea... WTF was with that DFD!!

i mean

WTF!!!

djh89

HSC
Martyno1 said:
First point yes. You can't just put a not gate at the end because that would change everything else...

I also would have liked harder algorithms and stuff. Algorithms are do-able, easier to get marks in and it's okay if you fuck up because almost everyone else in the state would fuck up too. Damn BOS not giving us enogh algorithms. :(
The question states "Modify the following circuit diagram by adding another logic gate so that the output at X is 1 if all inputs are 0". It refers to just one particular case. If infact we were supposed to modify the circuit so that ONLY A,B,C = 0 make X = 0, then it's unfair that wasn't stated so. It shouldn't be so ambiguous as to what the question is asking.

HSC
stewmazza said:
You guys are absolute spastics. not only is software design and development quite possibly the worst subject the hsc has to offer, it also scales terribly poorly and to get a band six in it you will need to get a raw mark of well above 95%. Why the hell would you bother doing it? if you found it hard, congratulations, your mark will scale down into the negatives and your uai will be worse than an asterix. how good is that! at least you have free beers at each pub you go to that night, then you can commit suicide striaght after
1. That's your opinion, I think SDD is a wonderful course.
2. ToMmmm is correct in saying that SDD scales amazingly well. If you had the advanced SAM, you'd know, but you don't....so I don't blame you.
3. I for one will easily get 95% and get band 6, so :p
4. People bother doing it, because contrary to stupid beliefs, it's actually a very good course, as far as software development is concerned.

Sure it's not perfect, nor particularly up-to-date, but equally nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be.
5. From your post I can tell you aren't doing SDD. So please GTFO of here, and leave the discussions to people whom know what they are talking about.

live.fast said:
but yea... WTF was with that DFD!!

i mean

WTF!!!
Yeh, it took me like 10 mins to decide how to best do it lol.

shredinator

HSC
cooldods said:
I dont know, but i think for that hardware question, you're meant to add a logic gate that doesnt change any of the results EXCEPT when A B C are all 0. By putting a not gate at the very end, you change every single answer.

I believe you could've done it with a nor gate, I hooked the and gate and the xor gate to a nand gate, and then used the and gate and the nand gate for my inputs into the or gate, if you get what Im saying....

I didnt find it hard, but to tell the truth I would've rathered harder algorithms instead of just all theory
I agree. I wrote something to the effect of:

If you don't care about the other truth table combinations then its simple:
<puts not gate just before X>

If you do care, then I couldn't just do it with one extra logic gate:

<Does boolean algebra and pumps out wierd (but functioning) circuit>

The question states "Modify the following circuit diagram by adding another logic gate so that the output at X is 1 if all inputs are 0". It refers to just one particular case. If infact we were supposed to modify the circuit so that ONLY A,B,C = 0 make X = 0, then it's unfair that wasn't stated so. It shouldn't be so ambiguous as to what the question is asking.
We had loads of time to do that exam. While I hate ambiguous questions, it would be a lie to say we didn't have the time to do them twice.

Last edited:
HSC
If the case was that we had to modify the circut so that ONLY a,b,c=0, I swear, I am going to sue the BoS :p

Or at least let them have it in some other way. I don't think that is what they wanted, they wouldn't state such a question in such a retarded way.

djh89

HSC
shredinator said:
I agree. I wrote something to the effect of:

If you don't care about the other truth table combinations then its simple:
<puts not gate just before X>

If you do care, then I couldn't just do it with one extra logic gate:

<Does boolean algebra and pumps out wierd (but functioning) circuit>

We had loads of time to do that exam. While I hate ambiguous questions, it would be a lie to say we didn't have the time to do them twice.
I struggled to finish the exam, so no, we didn't have loads of time to do the exam.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
stewmazza said:
lol you DUMB shit. unless you're being sarcastic (which i did not recognise) sofwtare design and development may not scale so highly in regards to the UAI but scaling has NOTHING to do with what mark you need to get a band 6. for subjects like SDD it's about 85% raw for a band 6. get a clue. and just because some of us may not get band 6s in the damn subject it doesn't mean we're going to get a UAI of below 30, some people do more than 10 units, lo and behold.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
stewmazza said:
Hahaha, second time I've seen you post something retarded about the scaling system. I'm glad you took notice of the three or four people telling you you were wrong in the other thread.

SDD doesn't scale well, but you don't need a 95% to get a band 6. Oh man. SDD may be the worst course the HSC has to offer, but you're the worst person the world has to offer. Don't take your anger out on us because no one will buy you a beer.

xang

HSC
Well, I just put the not gate at the end. What was the exact question? Kicking myself I didn't bring the paper home ;)

adgala

HSC
could someone scan up the paper or just the logic gate problem people are talking about in this thread?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)