Did anyone else think that exam was hard? (1 Viewer)

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
Or is it just me?

I thought it was much harder than the 04, 05, 06 paper. The other ones were applying stuff this one was more like "state what this means" and ahhh I don't think I did good. I just hope that my 1st ranking in my class (even though 3/4 of them left after an hour and a half) would help me get a band 6.

LatK7

HSC
I don't think it was too bad. I was aiming for 75 raw and i think i might've gotten around 80. guys ranked behind me and the one in front were confident so an 85 aligned would be most awesome.

petro283

USYD '10
HSC
Seriously this exam comprised about 4% of algorithm design, and when you look at the other years which you could basically see half the paper was based around algorithms. I can't see how you found this paper hard. Of the 7 people that do SDD in my school all (including me) think they got a band 6 in that exam.

Anyone that did software developers view of the hardware... Did you put a NOT Gate at the end of the circuit to change the output of the 3 0's??? It seemed like the only way to do it by adding 1 gate as the question prescribes.

HSC
Dudes....

This was the FIRST time I ever finished the sdd paper before 3h were up, so...yeh EASY.

petro, agree 100% on the gate question. I was like, wtf for 10 mins trying to figure out WTF.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
petro283 said:
I can't see how you found this paper hard.
Well I can't see how you found it super easy and you don't see me gloating about that. Some people are going to find it hard because it was different and some people are going to find it easy because it's different and I made this thread to ask people if anyone else found it hard at all.

conroy1234

supermeatpie
HSC
yeah i thought it was pretty hard, but managed to bullshit my way through, so 75+ would be good

burgomcsock

HSC
I put the NOT gate before the OR gate and after the XOR gate. Performed the same function in a slightly different way. I agree that this test was in fact easier than the previous ones due to less algorithm design. I am hoping to get a band 6 which I am fairly confident I will (my internal assessment mark was almost flawless), if not I should get a high band 5. Ooh yeah only one exam left for me! (physics tho :(...)

Kameleon

HSC
N/A
yeah, i found it average but alot easier compared to previous years. I ges the teachers were right when they said that the trials were harder than the hsc. lol on how ridiculously easy sum questions were. THE FIRST QUESTION WAS LIKE WTF EASY. and there was alot of define this, define that which i found funny as. lol my option topic was really suss. if u did the second option topic, i was seriously like wtf about the multiplication question 11111011 * 00001111. hahaha well gl for future exams guys! (i still have freakin three, i have eight overall) yikes!

cooldods

HSC
I dont know, but i think for that hardware question, you're meant to add a logic gate that doesnt change any of the results EXCEPT when A B C are all 0. By putting a not gate at the very end, you change every single answer.

I believe you could've done it with a nor gate, I hooked the and gate and the xor gate to a nand gate, and then used the and gate and the nand gate for my inputs into the or gate, if you get what Im saying....

I didnt find it hard, but to tell the truth I would've rathered harder algorithms instead of just all theory

LatK7

HSC
Martyno1 said:
Well I can't see how you found it super easy and you don't see me gloating about that. Some people are going to find it hard because it was different and some people are going to find it easy because it's different and I made this thread to ask people if anyone else found it hard at all.
Yeah yeah, take it eeeeasy everyone.:)

cooldods

HSC
Also for the multiplaication (hardware topic again) didnt you just change the first number to it's twos complement, then multiply, then twos complement it again????, it gave you the correct answer....

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
cooldods said:
I dont know, but i think for that hardware question, you're meant to add a logic gate that doesnt change any of the results EXCEPT when A B C are all 0. By putting a not gate at the very end, you change every single answer.

I believe you could've done it with a nor gate, I hooked the and gate and the xor gate to a nand gate, and then used the and gate and the nand gate for my inputs into the or gate, if you get what Im saying....

I didnt find it hard, but to tell the truth I would've rathered harder algorithms instead of just all theory
First point yes. You can't just put a not gate at the end because that would change everything else...

I also would have liked harder algorithms and stuff. Algorithms are do-able, easier to get marks in and it's okay if you fuck up because almost everyone else in the state would fuck up too. Damn BOS not giving us enogh algorithms. :(

timmeh041

HSC
It was a great paper, i did really well.

The only thing that comes into my head wher ei lsot marks was the "program counter" one. At the time i tohught it was a gernric term for a counter used in loops. Only after when i was tlaking to someone that they said it was a counter used to keep track of the line you are up to in memory. Everything else i thought was great.

The one with the not gate at the end was the easiest 3 marks in the whole paper. All you had to do wass put the 3 0's in, and if it came out with a 0 flip it. It said nothing about other combinations having to equal anything, all it said was the instance where all inputs are 0. So you could have done it in like 30 seconds if you found he right way of thinking about it.

Last edited:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I didn't put the NOT gate at the end, I put it between switch B and the XOR gate.

I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of algorithms :)

Kameleon

HSC
N/A
yeah, about that question wat do u mean about putting the not gate at the end? arent u supposed to change the answer to 1? i have no idea y i put my not gate after the xor gate. but yeah plz explain?

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
It seemed easier to me. Bear in mind that I don't know half the course and I'm aiming for 50 raw.

I swear there was something up with Question 23 - that threw me right off. (Yes, I have seen the other thread)

But yeah, overall it wasn't too bad even though I'm going to fail miserably. I'm just glad the piece of shit otherwise known as Software Design and Development is over.

EDIT: No Baccus Naur or anythign like that too, which was interesting.

Legham

HSC
Im pretty sure there was a few spots the NOT gate could go..

Oh, and i found the test pretty easy. The only thing i wasn't sure about was drawing that data flow diagram and the last question on data streams, but i think i bludged some marks out of both of them..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)