• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Did anyone do that Programming Comp. today? (1 Viewer)

TallGuy

I'm not sure exacly what it was called, but you had to pay $5 for it a while back. The one where you get 6 problems to code in 2 hrs.

anyway, I did that today.....Christ it was hard.:(
Sure, my team and I arent the BEST programmers going around, but i dont rekon many people could finish all of those problems in 2 hours.

Did anyone else go into it?

or is anyone going to go it?:confused:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yep it was hard alright!!

Much harder than last year apparently....

I would imagine only a handful of teams finishing it fully.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
our team did 2 and a half early-ish on, promptly realised it wasn't going anywhere, lost concentration and went outside.

sunny

meh.
HSC
My team finished the first two as well, and we partially did 3, 4 and 5.

sunny

meh.
HSC
We've actually been told not to give details about the thing till saturday...but I would think after that they'll have the questions up for download anyway, like last year's is available.

do0d

bah for most of these all u need is one person who can write a lil bit of code and the rest who can think of how to go on about solving it
ie the logic
but thats all programming comps
wish i knew about these b4 :S

sunny

meh.
HSC
Not really...most of the time there just isn't enough time for those doing the thinking to write detailed enough algorithms for the one coding to know exactly what they're supposed to be doing.

Morgues

i studied english throughout the thing but apparently we finished the first 3
my SDD teacher was doing it for fun next to us and finished 4 by himself :eek: Wouldnt give us the solutions though......

thrillhouse

i did that... we had i think 6 teams going. my team was the only ones laughing, talking... everyone was so serious... we got told to be quite by a few of the other teams... but we all thought it was damn hard.. took us like 1hr to do the first one!.. oh well it was 'kinda' fun... beats the hell out of english.

do0d

as long as the others can explain to someone who can program what they want done it shouldnt take long
once u know what needs to be done a programmer shouldnt need to know every lil detail

sunny

meh.
HSC
yea thats true but blah the problem with these is that the logic is complex, and its not worth the time trying to explain it.

My team worked on several problems at once, and when one the guys worked out an algorithm for the last question, he had enough trouble converting it to code and deciphering his own stacks of working himself, let alone explaining it to me to code.

It was alot more productive for him to code it himself while I worked on another question.

being able to work out the logic is useless in programming

that's for scientists adn mathmaticians

programmers should concentrate on perf, architecture, design and elegance of their code. not logic. The competition should be more of those arch, perf, etc .... not logic!!!

Morgues

any fool can learn a language such as C++ with a book and a spare 100 hours but you need logic to be able to apply it to problems, logic is a major part of the formula

del

HSC
N/A
agreed there....

plus... if you didn't have logic... then you obviously wouldn't be able to use control structures properly, which would then mean that your solution wouldn't be as efficient and elegant as it could be...

that said... programming relies on logic
hence why most if not all computer sci, software engineering courses have maths modules.. because maths involves problem solving....

hence why most good programmers are good at maths and vice versa

theres millions of ppl who knows how to program the logics
but not many of them knows how to design, architect applications.

That's why programmers who actually do most of the coding is payed less than those who design, architect the application and give it to the programmers. (Im not refereingt o analysts. They are just there for customer relations. To make the company look more ethically and socially and morally good and produce reports that sound technical with no content at all)

teres only few math in bcompsci

but theres alot on design and architecting. eg design and architecture of OS, designing and architecting ntier apps. etc etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)