• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Dictionaries! (1 Viewer)

karnevil

HSC
Seems the most repeated piece of advice that the marker's centre is giving about last year is the use of dictionaries. A few quotes:

The use of dictionaries again raised some issues. Candidates should use their dictionaries to look up the occasional forgotten word or kanji. Extra marks
are not awarded for writing everything in kanji. Candidates also need to know how to choose the
correct word when faced with a number of possibilities..
It is better for candidates to stick to the kanji from the syllabus; there are no bonus marks for extensive
use of kanji. Candidates tended to copy kanji from their dictionaries and these were often poorly
written. Some candidates copied words from the dictionary and used them incorrectly. Dictionary skills
need to be taught or candidates should not use words unless example sentences are provided.
Dictionaries should be used sparingly as unknown vocabulary was often used incorrectly.
On that note everybody, don't get st00pid with your use of kanji, for God's sake make sure you use the right word for the right context (from dictionaries), and GANBATTE NE ~~~ !!!

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yea and look at example sentences (if you have them in your dictionary) before you use words because sometimes you may take the english translation for the wrong meaning at first glance.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I wish I could get online when you guys posted this, I would have stickied it. Dictionaries are overused, especially in the writing section. Of course, I always forget my dictionary, so my problem is a bit worse :rolleyes:

Last edited:

karnevil

HSC
Dictionaries are overused, especially in the writing section.
I only use the dictionary for the comprehension section, and if needed, the listening. Yesterday's listening didn't have any vocabulary in it past Term3 of Year11 so I didn't even need it....

But yeah Lexi obviously the markers think that people overuse them. If any of you made the mistake of doing this in yesterday's exam.... curb your habits for next Friday. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)