Diagram Software? (1 Viewer)

Stobbit

HSC
I'm looking for some software that will allow me to create mathematical diagrams.

I can't find in any of my textbooks where it says the methods used for drawing images in the actual texts.

Surely there must be some software which can do this because I'm sure the authors of textbooks and exam papers don't mannually draw them line by line, curve by curve, label by label!

I need to be able to paste them into Microsoft Word - I'm creating worksheets and study guides for the students I tutor.

Basically I need a program that I can draw shapes, label angles etc. with as well as graphing functions with all of their important properties.

I've tried Autograph but unfortunately it doesn't allow me to automatically label shapes with angles and side names ... if anyone can suggest anything it would be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully I can get a program which fits with the standard formatting (e.g. pronumerals in italics, double-arrowed axes etc.) but at the moment I'll settle for anything.

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
Latex (lay-tech) + Maple. Latex is free but maple is pricey (unless you .... well you can figure that out).

They are both very powerful (countless maths books use them, esp latex) but technical. Simple stuff won't take long to get the hang of though. Those plus a paint program for simple shapes and you're set for everything I can think of.

Stobbit

HSC
Okay, so I can see this isn't going to be easy enough for your average teacher to bother with?

See, my teachers have also become interested in my endeavour and would like a program which can produce images like this:

It would need a GUI with a simplistic approach.

Does a program like this exist AT ALL or am I going to have to suggest they buy Maple and try to teach it to them myself?

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
http://www.eukleides.org/ will do some decent geometry and there are a plethora of similar programs. Again though, this will require some effort to learn. It won't be any help with curves though, which I use maple for and latex to typeset it all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)