Diagnostic Radiography (1 Viewer)

Leah.Midd

HSC
hey i was just wondering if anyone has heard the UAI cut off for diagnostic radiogrpahy at newcastle uni, since they no longer go off interviews?

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
hiya leah, so good to see someone interested in MRS!
i myself am first year nuclear medicine, but anyways about your query:

if you didn't already know the way they used to work out how viable a person is for the course, you get a total score based half on your UAI and half on the results of the interview.

Now because UNCLE is an asshole they decided that the only factor that people should be accepted by is via their UAI (this isn't only for MRS it relates to all other degrees with extra entry criteria, except for medicine). As the head honchos in MRS didn't like this one bit, and knowing that the interview was never going to come back, they decided to replace the interview with a colour the dots quiz (ala the umat exam). This isn't finalised yet as they are still testing out the exam on current students (i did it last week).

If they find that the test correlates with the mark people got in the interview then it will be implemented next year. If it doesn't then it will be based soley on UAI (unless by some miracle the interview comes back instead).

So in short its anyones guess what the UAI cutoff will be. In my year (over all three MRS courses, not too sure about the spread in the diagnostics) there was a huge spead of UAI's. The highest was 100 and the lowest was like 68. If the test is implemented and you get a decent score in it then a UAI score of 85+ would make you a shoe-in for any of the three MRS courses. If it ends up being just UAI based then more likely the scores will go up a bit.

However if you want more information about any of this i'd email the head of MRS (shane dempsey). ill PM you the email address.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
To reiterate what smeg was saying, the reason the uni has chopped the interviews is because they have been deemed too expensive. We raised the point that the academics are being paid to be there anyway, and the other people on the panels are conjoints that are volunteering their time, however the uni countered this with the fact it is the "behind the scenes" activities of tallying scores and so forth that take large amounts of manhours and therefore are costly.
Medicine put their foots down and refused to do this, OT tried to do the same (and I'm presuming most of the other disciplines) however we simply lack the manpower to manipulate the uni as such. Personally, I find this to be disgraceful, as many disciplines will be getting people who have been rejected from med because of a shit interview, and we'll lose many brilliant would-be clinicians.
Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent, but good luck!!

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
...Personally, I find this to be disgraceful, as many disciplines will be getting people who have been rejected from med because of a shit interview, and we'll lose many brilliant would-be clinicians.
here's a nice bit of trivia for you guys:

For the last Nuclear medicine cohort that went through sydney uni (which doesn't have any extra entry criteria), something like 50-60% of people were employed upon graduating.

For the last nuclear medicine cohort that went through newcastle uni, a grand total of 100% of students were offered jobs before sitting their final exams.

Stupid uni with their stupid 30 million dollar deficit

Leah.Midd

HSC
Hey thanks heaps for all that. i thought the interview basis was a good way but looks like im going to have to rely on my UAI. i didnt do the UMAT but it'd b to late for them to mark that down as criteria for 2006. thanks for the email, will be a great help!

gowie

HSC
hey Smeg, im looking at diagnostic radiography at newcastle u, its definently sumtihng im looking at puttin as first pref even if i dont get it. in the rare case the medradsci dept r stoned wen they recieve my uai and DO actually let me in, Im curious as to how hard the maths is and if it is possible to get wat is needed from bridgecourse.

Also, many threads i look at instruct to be cautious in selecting the degree as they may not be as many jobs in the future as compared with the 2005 jobguide which flagged it as a 'skills shortage' area.

I did get sum feedbak form highwayman but im just looking at a variety of opinions. ps thanx highwayman

em_516

bludging..
HSC
i was just being a dick man..also, i was referring to gowie's post, not any of leah's

Theodosius

HSC
@ Gowie:

Hey Mate. There isn't really much maths at all in MRS at Newcastle, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. PM me any time if you have any more questions about UNCLE Radiography.

gowie

HSC
Theodosius said:
@ Gowie:

Hey Mate. There isn't really much maths at all in MRS at Newcastle, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. PM me any time if you have any more questions about UNCLE Radiography.
Hey, thanx heaps 4 answering, thats a relief, yeh ill definently hav sum questions 4 u in the future :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)